Sunday, July 02, 2006

Rapid Reviews

Hey, let's see if I can get caught up on reviews to last month...

3 May 2006

Alice in Wonderland #4: I really ought to read the original material for this one. The adaptation is cute, but I feel like I'm missing a lot. And was this how the original ended? It's good, but it left me wanting more. I suppose that's a good thing from an adaptation... 2 1/2 starfish

Mouse Guard #2: "Shadows Within": A complete jump that at first threw me off the story, but it's the same tale, even sharing a character. It just covers a different guard member. If I have any complaint about this book, it's that the story seems to end far too soon in each issue. I wish it would go on a lot longer. 3 1/2 starfish

Lions, Tigers and Bears Vol 2 #2: After the cliffhanger ending to last issue, this one introduces a new character right off, then jumps right into action. Joey isn't as annoying in this issue, and the flow of the story works well. Not bad. 2 1/2 starfish

Justice League Unlimited #21: "Stormy Weather": I don't have much interest in GL and Vixen's relationship, but the idea that two villains having a lover's spat could cause a massive storm is pretty funny. This one was disjointed and a bit silly, but worth a look for fans of the series. 2 starfish

Infinite Crisis #7: "Finale": Funny that you never see Aquaman's left hand in the interior artwork in this one. Somebody didn't want to draw it, maybe. Or risk a coloring error on a book this big. As for the story... well, I'm underwhelmed again. It wasn't bad, per se, it just didn't feel like the universe altering book it was supposed to be. Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I like the multiverse and consider the DCU to be richer for it. So any event that tries, yet again, to get rid of it just seems like a stupid waste of time to me. Eh. Maybe 52 will make this series look better in retrospect. 2 starfish

JSA #85: "...The Living Must Answer!": You have to wonder how Courtney's first driving lesson turned out, if this one was better (did we see it and I just forgot it?). Again, I prefer the flashbacks to the main story. I would love a fantasy story set in old England. Ahem... back to the story. What's the deal with the ghost Batman? I hope it's explained, since I'm not sure I understand. In any case, a pretty good story which I hope is nearing its end. 3 starfish

Action Comics #838: "Powers and Abilities": I'm only continuing to get this because Kurt's writing it. Ok, and it's a good story. But if not for Kurt, I wouldn't be picking it up, most likely. Since I generally don't collect Superman stories. There are just too many. Anyway... back to this issue... I liked the ending. I knew Clark would eventually do this, I just didn't know when or how. I like the way it finally happened. And now, I just have to wonder what happens next. 3 starfish

Detective Comics #819: "Face the Face part 3 of 8": Very striking cover to this issue. Magpie isn't a character I'm familiar with, but Ventriloquist... I didn't expect that to happen to him. The back-up story doesn't do much for me, I thought Jason was in Birds or something. Not that I ever really knew who the guy was. 2 1/2 starfish

Civil War #1: "Part One of Seven": Got a chance to read this, and was not as underwhelmed as I expected to be. The set-up was effective, and the result is about what I'd expect to see if superheroes were real. Of course the government would try to regulate them, and it wouldn't be an entirely bad idea. It's strange, though, that it's a shift of the rules of comic books. You don't expect this to happen because that pulls away part of the mystique of the mask. And I'm not entirely sure Marvel will be able to pull it off. 2 1/2 starfish

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #7: "Chapter Seven": Richard faces the final ordeal, and it's about what you might expect. I can't imagine what the others might have faced had they had to do it, but Richard's ordeal worked very well in the context of the story. Of far more interest was the reveal at the end of the book, in which we find out who is pulling the strings of Croup and Vandemar. 3 starfish

10 May 2006

PS238 #16: ACK! The ending nearly made me cry. While the others were doing amazing things with their powers and working together in new and interesting ways... while they were having adventures... POOR AMBRIEL! Gah, Aaron Williams better be going somewhere with this one... 4 starfish

Truth, Justin and the American Way #2: Again, the art style just isn't my cuppa, so I'm wishing that somebody else was drawing this. The story is funny, the references are hilarious, and it's a neat book overall, but I'm just not fond of the artwork style. 3 starfish

52 Week One: "Golden Lads & Lasses Must...": While it's mostly an introduction to the characters who will be the focus of the series, I'll note that Aquaman and Mera appear in a panel, as does Lorena. There isn't a lot of big movement in this issue, just set-up for what will be happening next, which is about what you would expect from the first issue of a series like this. It does leave me curious about the next issue, but not terribly anxious to see it. 2 1/2 starfish

Superman #652: "Speeding Bullet": I like the Puzzler. And the rest of the villains Intergang sends out are an interesting bunch taken together. Fun fun fun! This one was just a ride. Sit back and enjoy it. 3 starfish

Ok, can't get caught up quite yet. I'll keep chugging away at them...

0 comments: