Monday, July 03, 2006

Review Copy Review

Continuity: Just when I was convinced that I was off everyone's review lists because of my sporadic and never too comprehensive reviews, never to get a free book again, Larry Young came through and sent me this book. I downloaded the free version, but like so many other things I hadn't actually gotten around to reading it yet. I didn't have any problems reading the paper copy... I like the idea of digital versions of my comics, but I SO much prefer reading paper than computer screen.

Anyway, this is an incredibly disturbing and thoughtful book. I have to admit upfront that I really didn't like the art. It worked for the story, and I cannot complain about the storytelling skills of the artist for the most part... but the style was just not to my liking at all. Still, the story was compelling. The reader knows that Alicia is telling the truth, because we recognize her original world. But how do you deal when no one else can see the changes around you? I found the ending to be a bit odd, but endings often are in this kind of book. It's certainly worth a read if you want to spend some time thinking. And afraid to go to sleep. 3 starfish

0 comments: