Monday, October 09, 2006

Overdue Reviews

Ha! "Reviews"! Like I have the willpower to actually really review anything. I do capsules. Quick and semi-mindless. And lately I haven't even been able to do that. So I'm going to try to catch up by giving you even less than I used to! Ground Rules: One sentence per book followed by whether or not I recommend it. That's it. Nothing more. Maybe if I do this, I'll get the "review"ing done before next June...

21 June 2006

JSA Classified #13: "The Fall and Rise of Vandal Savage part four": Finale of the Green Lantern/Vandal Savage story, and not completely satisfying... but passable. Mildly Recommended.

Shadowpact #2: "Pentacle": Rex the Wonder Dog and Witchfire? Awesome. Recommended.

Justice #6: Not enough Aquaman. Still, Recommended.

Noble Causes #21: Lots of soap opera-y twists. Recommended.

Stardust Kid #4: I've been disappointed with this series so far: I wanted to like it, but it doesn't live up to its big brother Abadazad. Not Recommended.

Nodwick #33: I loved seeing Yeagar quiz Yeagar, and I'm curious to see the results of that conversation. Recommended.

28 June 2006

52 Week Eight: "Thief": The Booster hits the fan while iron becomes steel, and I'm still enjoying this slightly disjointed ride through the DCU. Mildly Recommended.

Action Comics #840: "Up, Up, and Away! Finale: The Adventures of Superman": Nice finish to the story, right down to the pretzel. Recommended.

Batman #654: "Face the Face Conclusion": Another conclusion, but the story was too confusing for me to ever really get into it. Mildly Recommended.

Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre #2: "Dead Again Part Two": I really don't like the Spectre in this, but he's far spookier, and thus more effective and interesting, than he's been for years. Recommended.

Ion #3: "Torch Bearer Part 3": Too... Many... Green... Lantern... Stories... Neutral.

JLA Classified #23: "A Game of Chance Part Two: Bet": Pointless Aquaman cameo, pointless JLA team. Not Recommend.

Brave New World: A sampler/preview that didn't convince me to even take a second look at any of the books it previews. Not Recommended.

Solo #11: "Sergio Aragones": A whole book of Sergio? Of course it's Highly Recommended!

The Phantom #11: "Nanamaru": Going into Phantom's history, which I'm just not interested in. Neutral.

Truth, Justin, and American Way #3: Having old TV flashbacks... not entirely unpleasant, but not all fun and games, either. Recommended.

Usagi Yojimbo #94: "Remnants of the Dead": A bitter-sweet story, with an edge to it. Highly Recommended.

6 July 2006

52 Week Nine: "Dream of America": I enjoy the Steel side of the story a lot, as well as the Question bit, but the space stuff does nothing for me. Recommended.

Detective Comics #821: "The Beautiful People": Nice little done-in-one story. Recommended.

Secret Six #2: "The First Cut Is The Deepest": Such a nasty book. Mildly Recommended.

Justice League Unlimited #23: "Heroes": I love stories from the common man point of view, so I really enjoyed this issue. Highly Recommended.

JSA #87: "Ghost in the Castle": Ma Hunkel utters the best line in the entire history of the Justice Society. Recommended.

Best Line Ever

Conan & The Songs of the Dead #1: Standard Conan tale, not bad. Recommended.

Dark Horse: Twenty Years: A whole bunch of pin-ups, which isn't bad if you like pin-ups by artists doing characters they don't normally do... but if you were hoping for more substance, you are out of luck. Neutral.

12 July 2006

52 Week Ten: "Stop The Press": Huh. I'm actually enjoying the Black Adam side of the story. Recommended.

Superman #654: "On Our Special Day": Cute story. Recommended.

Green Lantern #12: "Revengs of the Green Lanterns": Can't... keep... Green... Lantern... stories... straight... Neutral.

JLA Classified #24: "A Game of Chance Part Three: Raise": Yet another time Aquaman uses blood to stay alive... ICK. Neutral.

Green Lantern Corps #2: "Death Trail": Soranik Natu is the only Green Lantern I actually like! Mildly recommended.

Ghost Rider #1: "Vicious Cycle": What a depressing book. Not Recommended.

Squadron Supreme #5: "Blood and Sand Part II": Is Stan really the only character in this book that I like? Neutral.

Dorothy #6: "Heartless": If you aren't reading this book, you should start reading it. Highly Recommended.

0 comments: