Friday, October 13, 2006

Overdue Reviews

Mini-capsules. One sentence or so per book followed by whether or not I recommend it. Just trying to catch up at the moment, and maybe ooze into my old style of capsules eventually, though I doubt it.

27 September 2006

52 Week Twenty-One: "Teambuilding Exercises": More of Lex's scheming, but I'm more interested in the single page of Red Tornado. Mildly Recommended.

Action Comics #843: "Back In Action, Part 3: All-Out Action": Aquaman, who clued in Superman to the fact that their powers weren't entirely supressed, has a breathing problem. Recommended.

Batman #657: "Batman & Son, Part 3: Wonderboys": I really don't see how this new kid will fit into Batman's life at all. Mildly Recommended.

JSA Classified #17: "The Venom Connection, Part 1 of 2": I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Bane, especially when he seems to be working on the side of the angels. Recommended.

Justice League of America #2: "The Tornado's Parth, Chapter Two: Tornado-Red/Tornado-Blue": Lots of Tornado on that final splash page, but no answers to whatever it is Faust did to the real guy. Mildly Recommended.

Secret Six #4: "Six Degrees of Devastation, Part Four: Spiders on the Wind": All the stuff my commenter complained about in my previous review actually happened in this issue (that's how far behind I was). I didn't even realize what Hatter was doing until I saw the comment. Neutral.

Trials of Shazam #2: "Grounded": Finally, we get to see what happened with some of the other Marvels... except, what's the deal with Black Adam, then? Mildly Recommended.

Lions, Tigers & Bears Vol 2 #3: This is a cute little book, but I feel like the last two issues haven't gone anywhere. Mildly Recommended.

True Story, Swear to God (Image) #1: "Payday": Another all around look at Tom's life in another culture... I liked how he got his clients to pay (though I wonder if any of them will hire him again) and I feel for his terror at the idea of putting his work out in public to be bashed. I do enjoy this book. Recommended.

Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror #12: I'm to the point where I'm mostly sick of The Simpsons, but I still enjoy the Treehouse of Horror stories. These aren't as good as other years, but overall funny. Mildly Recommended.

Wonderland #2: "The Tulgey Wood & the Treacle Well": Mary Ann is interesting, but I really need to read the Alice in Wonderland stories. Recommended.

Usagi Yojimbo #97: "Boss Hamanaka's Fortune, Part Two": No hints of the overall arc in this one, but a satisfying conclusion to this particular story. Recommended.

4 October 2006

52 Week Twenty-Two: "Burial Ground": Super-Chief, huh? Hrm. Mildly Recommended.

Detective Comics #824: "Night of the Penguin": The sub-plot with the dog is hilarious. Recommended.

Justice League Unlimited #26: "The Ghosts of Atlantis": Yay! Aquaman! And Booster Gold and Fate, but Yay! Aquaman! Recommended.

Team-Up

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere #9: "Chapter Nine": Much better conclusion than I was actually expecting. I really enjoyed the final to this. Recommended.

Fallen Angel #9: Ah, this one ties into the background story that I liked so much, but that's not clear until the final page. Recommended.

PS238 #18: I really like Satori. Definitely the best new character since Tyler was introduced. Highly Recommended.

Archie Comics Halloween Ashcan: A great little tale of people working together to find solutions to everyone's problems. Good for all ages.

Donald Duck Halloween Ashcan: The usual sort of Donald Duck story, where everything goes wrong but still manages to go right in the end. Mostly. Good for all ages.

Death Jr Halloween Ashcan: Whew, a bit brutal and less than pleasant. Very morbid. Good for older Trick Or Treaters.

Marvel Adventures Avengers Halloween Ashcan: A pretty standard Avengers tale. Nothing special. Good for all ages.

Hey, I'm pretty much caught up. Only this last week's books to go now!

0 comments: