Sunday, December 03, 2006

Comic Book'ed Out

No "Ripples Through Time" today, I'm feeling a bit waterlogged. I don't want to burn out on the reviews, so I'm willing to take a break every once in awhile.

Instead, I went and got my hair cut today (Thanks Carol!) and went for a nice walk. Now I'm busily playing Blogshares. I haven't read all of this week's comics, and that's ok. I need the break every once in awhile.

My first experience with Blogshares was a few years ago when I had that absolutely horrible sunburn. I couldn't sleep, and I needed something besides TV to occupy my mind. So I started playing Blogshares and went completely nuts with the game, all the way to making the top ten and earning a free year of Premium service. I mostly played with the "idea" market, which was new at the time, and became an in-game billionaire.

Coming back to it seriously for the first time in over two years, I want to play a more standard game. So I've been playing with shares, and trying to help clean up the database by reporting dead blogs and putting live blogs into categories. There's now incentive in the game to help with the database. You earn chips, which can be redeemed for raffle tickets, "chances" and other fun stuff. I've been playing my chips for chances, which is an in-game lottery that has some nifty prizes.

To find dead blogs, I use the "Links" option on the navigation bar, then find the "Random Blogs" link, and visit each blog I get. There are a lot of dead blogs (for Blogshares purposes, a dead blog is any blog that hasn't been updated in 6 months). I'm finding a lot of blogs that have one or two entries after they were created, and nothing after that. It makes me wonder why the folks bothered at all. But then... at least they made the effort. They started. But it's strange, like walking through an on-line graveyard.

And it's fun, too. I'm seeing the strangest blogs, very different from what I hit in my normal browsing. That's part of the strength of the game. There's so much there, and you can have a bit of fun while you are at it. Not that it's for everyone. But I'm enjoying myself.

0 comments: