Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It Feels Like...

...Summer. I've got all the doors and windows open to warm up the house. It's nearly 80F out there, and is supposed to be hotter tomorrow. I generally wear a blanket around the house even in the most extreme of summer, but I've been able to go without most of today. There's a relatively small band of temperature at which I'm comfortable. This house rarely gets up high enough to hit that band.

I've been trying to piece together a linkblog, but having trouble focusing my mind enough to do it. I'm in a fog today, and when I get like this it's rare for me to be able to string together sentences. I won't tell you how long it's taken to write this much. I'm personally appalled.

Awhile back, Larry Young sent me a great book that I mean to do a proper review for someday, but I want to mention it now. It's called The Last Sane Cowboy & Other Stories and it's by Daniel Merlin Goodbrey. The problem with it is that it blew my mind. The book connected to me on a fundamental level with the very first story, "I Bleed Scorpions". And while none of the other stories hit me as hard, they all hit me. So if you've got a chance to check it out, please do. Maybe it'll blow your mind too.

I really haven't got anything to say on all the latest comic book news. Whatever I had to say has been said better by someone else. If I ever get that linkblog done, I'll link to some of those better statements.

This Saturday's Doctor Who, "Human Nature", was excellent. I screencapped a page of John Smith's book. I wish we could see the whole book in detail.

There's a good breeze outside. I can see the cottonwood seeds drifting like snow around the neighborhood. There's a distant siren, ambulance or fire, and the rev of someone's car engine down the block. I can hear children playing somewhere nearby. And the birds in our trees are making their usual lovely racket. I wish I could focus. I can't help but feel disabled when I'm like this. How can a person spend two hours writing and still say nothing?

0 comments: