Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Sunday Review

I started the week by reading Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road. It was a very quick read, a lot of fun, and slightly depressing by turns. Certainly one not to be missed if you like Chabon's work.

I then read Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison. I was slightly surprised at how difficult it was for me to get through the first few chapters, which covered his earliest childhood. But my own experiences diverged completely from his pretty quickly. On pages 208-209 of the hardcover, in the chapter on "becoming Normal", I think he explains why. I may someday get up the nerve to try to pull all the strings together and write about it, but not today.

Another item I read was the first volume of Peach Fuzz by Lindsay Cibos and Jared Hodges. A very fun little manga-ish digest. The contrasting view of the child and the ferret is fun to see. I plan to check out the other volumes and see if their views ever begin to really merge. I was, I admit, slightly disturbed at how viciously the child played with the ferret, then I remembered it was a ferret and didn't care anymore.

I also caught up on reading Fortean Times, which was as amusing and frustrating as it always is. I usually get a couple of good suggestions for books to read from each magazine, assuming I can find them via inter-library loan.

Hubby-Eric and I also started in on the second Sapphire and Steel story, "The Railway Station". As soon as the guy in the opening set up his equipment, I said, "He's a ghost hunter!" and was only slightly surprised to see I was right. As is often the case in ghost hunting, the woman becomes the bait.

In television, I watched American Gladiators again (guilty pleasure), Supernanny (the guy's story made me cry), Torchwood: "Sleeper" (eh, it was ok), Ace of Cakes (the Harry Potter cake!), and Ghost Hunters International: "Whispers From Beyond" (eh, so-so).

0 comments: