Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Tuesday Night Links

JM DeMatteis gives us The Secret Origin of Abadazad.

Phil thinks new Doctor Who starts March 22nd, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. I know I'll be watching, though.

Want to read a Firefly novel by Steven Brust? Well, go download it then. It's free, and it's fanfic.

Another dumb article on obesity. Here's what it comes down to folks: We all want to be able to say it's not our fault, but the truth is that only a few people have serious conditions that "make" them fat. Most of us simply need to change habits and assumptions. And if you cannot overcome your environment, you aren't trying hard enough. Really. If *I* can lose 105 pounds in 18 months, anyone can lose weight. I have no willpower to speak of.

Bush's budget tries to kill PBS.

Amazon DRM = Don't Restrict Me. Heck, I want one.

Why Dreamhost isn't so bad. At least they tell you what they did wrong.

So... in the 20th century, some Islamic radicals decided to ban depictions of all people, particularly Muhammad (before then it was just discouraged, not banned). And now Wikipedia is being criticized for using Historical Islamic depictions of Muhammad in their entry on him.

My eighth cousin, Stanley Dunham, Barack Obama's mother (yes, mother, she had an odd name), lived in the Seattle area. I think she left before my parents moved up here. Stanley was descended from Benjamin Dunham, the twelfth child of Richard Singletary/Dunham. I'm descended from David Dunham, the eighth child. We have the same great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

Stack Cats.

0 comments: