Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Sunday Review

Cutest Aquaman Ever!
Comics this week: Best book of the week, month, and year so far is Super Friends #1. I'm now a fan of writer Sholly Fisch (hmm, "fish"?). And this is the first time I've read a comic book and immediately started thinking of children I need to give it to. By contrast, Countdown 6 was terribly depressing, with non-existent people trying to fight the end of the world. Tangent: Superman's Reign #1 was bizarre, but the back-up story helped explain things a little. Good choice, having a back-up story like that.

Justice League of America #19 ties in with Salvation Run, which I haven't read. Funny to see Waller again. Speaking of, Checkmate #24 was incredible. I think that story was built up the right way. I'm a little surprised we didn't get any Aquaman in the various hero scenes, but it was still incredible. And lastly, Witchblade #116 wasn't as good as the last few issues, but was still ok. I think she should've let the Witchblade strangle that dude, though.

I finally got through the latest Fortean Times, which has an awful cover. I hate those paintings. As I've reported elsewhere, I was reading the bit on Arthur C Clarke's opinions of UFOs when I set the magazine down, logged into Twitter, and learned about his death. Very Fortean, and not in a good way. The Vegetable Lambs were interesting, but overall this wasn't the best issue ever.

TV this week: Robin Hood: "Lardner's Ring" (I like the Fool), Iron Chef America: "Flay vs Back" (once again cheering for the challenger... and Popeye), Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Like Mama Made" (Oh I'm craving some biscuits and gravy... my absolute favorite breakfast ever), Robin Hood: "Walkabout" (nice suspense and humor in this one), Torchwood: "Adrift" (give the poor woman some retcon, Gwen!), Ghost Hunters: "Words From Beyond" (cool library, and the diary find was interesting), Destination Truth: "Wildman; Swamp Dinosaur" (in this episode: Josh eats the strangest things), Supernanny: "McKeever Family" (what an incredibly cowardly and selfish father!), Ace of Cakes: "Police Cars and Wine Bars" (fun snowboarding attempt), Smallville: "Traveler" (Lionel continues to demonstrate his really bad judgement), and Torchwood: "Fragments" (unexpected TW bonus this week... bombs and flashbacks).

I got through a couple of books this week. A Haunted Tour Guide to the Pacific Northwest by Jefferson Davis was a quick read, because I didn't bother to go through most of it page by page. I just flipped through looking for places I've been or intend to go. If I wanted to do an actual tour of haunted places, I'd probably look for a copy of the book. As it is, I thought it was ok, but not very interesting as a book to sit and read. I did, however, enjoy Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society by Jason Hawes, Grant Wilson, and Michael Jan Friedman. The voice of the book was Jason from the TV show. He tells of some of the pre-TV show cases, then goes into detail about a few of the ones that made the show. I thought I'd be bored with it once he got into the stuff I'd already seen on TV, but I found myself interested in reading even the bits I already knew. It was an easy and comfortable read, despite the odd subject matter. I wouldn't recommend this to someone not interested in ghosts, but anyone who has an interest might find this book intriguing.

This week's library movie was Pan's Labyrinth. Wow, what an intense film. I was only partway expecting the ending... it didn't quite take the form I expected. In any case, I'm glad I avoided spoilers for it before seeing it. The violence was a little more graphic than I anticipated, and there were several times I had to look away, which was tough, as I also needed to read the subtitles. I finally figured out how to cover most of the screen while still making the subtitles visible. It was difficult to tell if what Ofelia was experiencing was true, or just her imagination, which may have been the point. Anyway, I highly recommend it, but only if you can stomach some intense moments.

0 comments: