Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who Confidential: "The Italian Job" - I usually watch these and don't comment, because they are good but not so much that I feel I need to make a fuss. This one, however, showing the trip to Italy for the Pompeii episode, is really worth seeking out.
  • Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II: "In Harm's Way" - I was surprised at just how good this one was, despite some eye-rolling fanstuff early on.
  • Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II: "Center Seat" - very short Sulu story that follows directly on from In Harm's Way. Amusing.
  • Numb3rs: "Checkmate" - this one felt slightly disjointed to me, thanks to Charles being off for training.
  • Chefography: "The Food Network" - I missed the early years of the network, so it was fun to see the non-food-creation stuff that originally aired.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "Something Different" - I spent too much time in school buses in my youth to want to eat in one, even if the food is good.
  • Classic Doctor Who: "Image of the Fendahl" Parts 3 & 4 - I want a pet Fendahline-y thing.
  • Ghost Hunters: "Ghostly Conversation" - not as bad as the last few, but I'm going to miss the comparatively grounded Destination Truth now that its season is over.
  • Smallville: "Descent" - I no longer care when a character appears to die, since all the characters on this show have died a few times each already.
  • Doctor Who: "Planet of the Ood" - oodles of scary fun. The Circle must be broken!
Ood

Comics this week:
  • DMZ #30 went in an unexpected direction in multiple ways, and now I really can hardly wait to see what happens next.
  • Powers Annual 2008 is quite a book, with 13 pages of letter column. Which I didn't read. Because reading the Powers letter column feels like wading into a pool of slime.
  • Noble Causes #32 annoyed me. Seriously. Bring back Liz and Race.
  • Doctor Who #3 has cats. I like cats, but this is getting ridiculous.
  • Lone Ranger #11 was nearly incomprehensible because it's been so long since I read the last issue.
  • Darkness #3 explained the whole series so far and twisted the end. Not really my thing, but at least it's vaguely interesting.
  • Red Sonja #32 had an alternate Red Sonja, and since I'm a sucker for alternates/what ifs/elseworld-type stories, I enjoyed this.
  • Countdown 2 made the entire series sort of make sense. I'm sure it would totally make sense if I'd read the entire thing. Maybe.
  • Superman #675 was heartbreaking and yet hopeful. Hrm.
No library books worth mentioning this week. Nor did we get a chance to watch a library movie. Last Sunday we went out to a play (The Wizard of Oz, oddly enough) which was a fun little production with an unexpected rocketship at the end (hubby-Eric knew about it, but I didn't). The cast was a mix of professional and non, with a live orchestra and a backdrop partially designed by my friend D (the one I buy comics for). So it was worth the trip.

Vashon Oz 2008

0 comments: