Sunday, July 06, 2008

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria - The gal who did such a bad job on Over the Rainbow last week sang horribly again, and was praised for it. Either the folks in the live audience aren't hearing the same sound feed as me, or their ears are broken.
  • Ace of Cakes: "Food Network Friends" - Big cakes this time. I enjoyed the hamburger cake, but the skyscraper cake bored me.
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: "In the Family" - I wanna go to Baltimore and get a cake at Duff's and then go to that pit beef place he recommends. The Utah place didn't look too bad, except the serving sizes were WAY too large.
  • The Next Food Network Star: "Enticing and Easy with Bonn Appetit" - They picked the right person to go, I'm afraid. I'm getting more interested in the kid, as he seems to be the one producing the best food.
  • History Detectives - Season Six, Episode 1 - Very interesting stories in this one. I love this show, because they show the frustrations of research (although they cut it down a lot for TV) as well as the rewards. And they demonstrate how to look at a problem from different angles.
  • Dinner: Impossible: "Disney Dinner Dash" - Heh heh. Robert running around Disneyworld looking for clues before being allowed to even start dinner. Nice.
  • Doctor Who: "Journey's End" - Special extra length (63 minutes) episode with fear of cosmic reset button running through my head. So, he didn't entirely avoid the reset button, but... it was good. Solid, scary, fun, good.
Comics this week:
  • Trinity #5 - I want to like this book, but it just seems like more of the same so far. The tarot angle is fine, but not compelling.
  • Batman #678 - I don't think I understood a page of this.
  • Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam #1 - I hoped I'd like this, but I'm not really impressed. I'll stick with Super Friends.
  • Jonah Hex #33 - Brutal, as usual.
  • Rogue Angel #5 - This book tries, but something, some little piece, is missing. Like it needed one more rewrite. It's good, I like the heroine, but ... there's just something not quite right.
  • Northlanders #7 - The end of the beginning. Lots of potential in this one. Glad I'm picking it up.
  • Noble Causes #35 - I like this one better than the last few issues, which really isn't saying much. I don't like the whole time jump storyline at all.
  • Doctor Who #5 - I really want to like this book, but so far I'm unimpressed.
  • Doctor Who Classics #8 - Ah, we're getting into the stories I don't remember well! Good stuff here.
Agatha Christie this week was The Mystery of the Blue Train, and it'll be my last book for awhile until we're settled into the new place, where ever that may end up being. It was about average, not great, but still interesting. Another good read, but I hope the next one is more exciting.

0 comments: