Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Smallville: "Power" - Y-A-W-N. The introduction of Mercy was slightly interesting, but then Lana returned to the show and the whole thing got boring again. Somebody put this out of its misery.
  • Battlestar Galactica: "Fragged" - Again, keeping up the intensity. No Starbuck and Helo in this one, which was a little disappointing, but then... do we really want more of them chillin' in Starbuck's old pad? The reaction of the Twelve to President Roslin's statement about the prophecies was interesting.
  • Ghost Hunters International: "Buried Alive" - Nice place in Denmark! I like old forts and such, and this was a place I wouldn't mind visiting. As for the place in Rio, nice debunking for the most part.
  • Heroes: "A Clear and Present Danger" - I hate the shaky camera shots. Hate 'em. Now... is this show becoming Lost?
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "The Eyes of Despero!" - NO LICKING! I love G'nort's different oaths. It was cringe-worthy, but hilarious as well. I didn't really like the voices in this one, but otherwise it was very good.
  • Supernanny: "Costello Family" - This one was really bad. Ten kids, and a mother who wants an even dozen kids but can't handle the ones she already has. A father with a terrible problem that hurts all of them, and doesn't want any more children (no wonder!). I can't see having more than three kids at the absolute most, personally.
  • Primeval: "Episode 13" - Leak is a piece of work, isn't he? "Piece" being the operative word, now. Not how I expected this to end, but then, it's nice to have a series that I have no idea what will happen next in it. Season 3 starts next week in Britain. I may have to find a source for it.
  • Battlestar Galactica: "Resistance" - A lot happens in this one. We even get to see them playing pyramid (which I seem to recall seeing in the original series (under a different name)). I do wonder what the significance of Sharon's eight is. And if that's in the whole fleet, that's a lot of people to cover.



Comics this week:
  • Green Lantern #37 - If you couldn't see this one coming with all the hints that were dropped within the story, you need to turn in your fan card.
  • Justice Society of America #23 - A comic book with Ma Hunkel on the second page can't be all bad. Still, it's very continuity laden, even moreso than usual. This issue holds together ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't read the rest of the series.
  • Justice League of America #29 - Wow, a Justice League story that's actually got some of the fun and wonder of the Silver Age in it. I was beginning to think fun and wonder were extinct in modern DC comics. Should I even mention that Aquaman's role in this one amused me?
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1 - Another egotistical Aquaman as the "pre-credits" opener in this one, then ... Power Girl? I like this take on her. Emphasize the intelligence as well as the brawn.
  • Tiny Titans #12 - "Faces of Mischief"?? Tiny Titans spoofing the main line? I love it! And I haven't even gotten past the cover yet! And the spoof continues inside! WAHOO! This was very amusing.
  • Northlanders #14 - Well, now we know why he didn't finish it. Yikes. And I wonder now who is driving it on, him or her?
  • Fallen Angel #33 - I'm not sure if that was a happy ending or the worst possible ending to this series. But then, I've been unsure about this series from day one. And yet I kept reading it. Huh.
  • Land of Oz Manga: Return to Emerald City #2 - I love how they restuff the Scarecrow, and I love how Glinda gets to the heart of the problem. I almost wish I didn't know how the story goes, because I'd love the discovery of Ozma to be a complete surprise to me.
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten #6 - OH! Whew, that made much more sense! And I bet hubby-Eric got a kick out of all the Oz references. I just wish Pia had drawn it. Nothing against the replacement artist, but I really like Pia's work and would've loved to see her double-page spread of all of them.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #117 - I had to do some flipping back and forth of pages to figure out the battle on the first few pages. I couldn't quite figure out which army was which. The second part of the story seemed to have no relation to the first, but then... this is Usagi, we know it will be good. And this is one of those very rare issues where the story goes all the way to the inside back cover.



My library book this week was Classic Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories as selected by Rex Collings. While this is a pretty good collection of some very solid ghost stories, I do wonder why a couple of them got into this book. The Story of Mary Ancel (William Makepeace Thackeray) has no ghosts in it, nor does The Traveller's Story of a Terribly Strange Bed (Wilkie Collins). In the Cliff Land of the Dane (Howard Pease) makes a little more sense, as there is an implied haunting, but still... no proper ghost! There are a couple of old classics, like The Tell-Tale Heart (Poe) and The Phantom Coach (Amelia B Edwards). I originally picked this collection up to read The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde. It's definitely the lightest story in the book. Throughout the book there are two characters with my given name... both of them die. Lovely. The scariest two tales are probably To Be Taken with a Grain of Salt (Dickens) and Man-Size in Marble (E Nesbit). I could probably say something good about every story in the book without much effort, but I'm a lazy reviewer. Altogether, a fantastic collection of ghost tales, worth a peruse especially around Hallowe'en time. As for me, I was eager to get back to a nice clean murder mystery by Agatha Christie after reading this book of haunts.



Agatha Christie this week was Why Didn't They Ask Evans? from 1934. Also published as "The Boomerang Clue". I got this one! I figured it out! Well... halfway. Well... figuring out an Agatha Christie mystery halfway is as good as not figuring it out at all, so I guess I did get it at all. Two new characters in this one (Bobby and Frankie), who solve the mystery with a lot of research and disguises and fake accidents. Yup, a nice change from ghost stories! And the title question... I really like how its significance was revealed.

At this point, inter-library loan has failed me completely, so I'm not sure when the next Agatha Christie book will reach me. I may end up with some gaps here and there as I wait for books to arrive at the local library.



This week's movie was The Dark Knight via Netflix. This was the first time I'd seen this movie, having missed it when it was in theaters (in part because we couldn't afford to go, and in part because I hate going to movie theaters). I'm glad I saw it at home, because I could more easily hide in hubby-Eric's arms when the Joker was being particularly scary. And he was. Over and over again. This was by far the creepiest Joker I've ever seen. By far the most menacing. He terrorized simply by existing. He didn't even have to do anything to be scary once he'd established himself. A look, and I wanted to hide behind the sofa. This was a brutal, frightening movie. I'm not sure what I was expecting from it, but it surpassed any expectations. I wouldn't show this one to children. It was good, but very very Dark.



0 comments: