Thursday, October 08, 2009

Wii Fit Plus Game Review

I've only had the new disc for a few days, so I hardly can give you a genuine review of all the features. I will say I was pleased at how quickly it transferred my old data over, and that what little I've played with in the new features I've enjoyed. But this is a more focused review. I'm going to tell you about the fifteen new games in the Training Plus section of the Wii Fit Plus.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Wii Fit, the exercise screen had four sections: Yoga, Strength Exercises, Aerobics, and Balance Games. Wii Fit Plus added a new section called Training Plus. There are actually only twelve new games, along with three advanced/different versions of older games.

Perfect 10 is a body movement game that involves math! I've only played the first level, but in that level you have to move your hips to bump the numbers that add up to ten. Sounds simple? Well, once I figured out what the heck I was doing, yes... but then the negative numbers showed up and I nearly lost it laughing. I think math teacher hubby-Eric will be amused by the game, and I hope to watch him play it some time.

Island Cycling is a steering and stepping game. You hold the Wiimote vertically horizontally in front of you as your handlebars and step to peddle. Your goal is to hit the flags and return to the start as quickly as possible. I enjoyed it, but I'm really very bad at it. This one I'll play again. Lots.

Rhythm Kung Fu is an all over movement game. You need the nunchuck along with the balance board and Wiimote. And the goal is rhythm. My poor Mii got bonked on the head by falling things repeatedly before I figured out some of the tricks.

A note on the nunchuck: I don't like it. It doesn't seem to have as much sensitivity as the Wiimote, and I always feel like half my misses are due to the fact that it just doesn't register my movement, not because I missed. Is this a common problem, or unique to me?

Driving Range allows you to practice your golf swing. You have to turn the board sideways for this one. And I found it really boring.

Segway Circuit is hilarious. You are driving around on a beach trying to pop beach balls that are being deflated and/or stolen by giant mechanical moles. I lucked out on my first run, getting a solid score and finishing the course quickly. Let's not talk about my second run. I'll probably play this one a few times.

Bird's-Eye Bull's-Eye makes you flap your arms. And I am absolutely miserable at any game that requires me to move my body subtly to turn, so I was horrid at this one. I may try it again, but after I get more balance practice in.

Snowball Fight does not require you to make a throwing motion with the Wiimote, but does require some quick reflexes and attention to detail. You duck out from your protective screen, aim with the Wiimote, and click to throw. It's IMMENSELY gratifying to hit someone, I think I got hubby-Eric's Mii multiple times... but he got me as well. This is fun, and I may have to play it more.

Obstacle Course makes me wave good-bye to my Mii as it falls down down down into the ocean far below. I can't get the hang of "jumping" on the balance board. I had the same issue with the tightrope game. This one is easier, but still frustrating. I did allow my Mii to get hit by one of the giant swinging pendulums and watched in horror as she flew off into the ocean. All the other times she just fell while jumping. *sigh*

Tilt City was one I thought I'd hate, but actually liked. You control tilting boards, some with your Wiimote, others with the balance board. You try to drop the balls into the correct bins. Easy, and a little hard. I did ok with this.

Rhythm Parade also requires the nunchuck. If it has the word "Rhythm" in the name, get out the nunchuck. This one brought back many marching band memories. You are the drum major of a marching squad, and you have to march in rhythm AND toss the baton at the right moments by moving the Wiimote and nunchuck. I enjoyed it, although the usual caveats about the nunchuck apply.

Big Top Juggling is another one that needs the nunchuck. The less said about this one, the better... except hubby-Eric's Mii as a circus performer was kinda hot. rrRRRrrrowl!

Skateboard Arena requires you to turn the balance board, and apparently has some secret to it to getting up speed. I couldn't seem to get the game to register when I was trying to kick off. I wonder if I would do better if I could actually ride a skateboard? The arena itself is cool, and I think I'd like to try this one some more.

And now we get into the three games that were updated, but aren't actually new.

Table Tilt Plus is more levels of the table tilt game that is part of the original Balance Games section (and is still there, so you can still play it). I stink at this. I mean, really stink. I barely got past the first level, and spent the rest of the timer on the second one making the balls fall off and getting reset. Blah. Hate the original, hate this one.

Balance Bubble Plus is a more complicated course than the original balance bubble, part of the original Balance Games section (and, yes, still available there). I'm better at this than table tilt, but only just. I probably won't spend much time with this.

Basic Run Plus is another running course, yay! This time your guide is a cat! And there's a quiz when you finish! No, seriously, there's a quiz. Be sure to count the freaking dogs when they run past. I'm actually more interested in this one because of the quiz than the original runs from the Aerobics section. I may end up playing this a bit.

So that's the new games in the new section. There are also some new Yoga exercises and a few new Strength exercises, but I tend to really work my way through those carefully, so I won't be doing them for awhile. For the games alone, this disc was worth more than half what I paid for it. Add in the rest of the stuff and I feel I definitely got my money's worth. I'm particularly happy with the calorie counter. And I'm looking forward to putting together custom workouts that I can just start on mornings when I'm too grumpy to try to figure out what I want to do. And the basic balance exercises appear to be available from the locker room, too. And... ok, I'll shut up now. More about this game later, maybe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have the same problem with the nunchuk in rhythm kung fu -- a lot of misses. It gets really frustrating. I don't have the same problem with things like the juggling, where you only move it up and down -- only in RKFu, where you have to move it *toward* the detector/screen.

I wonder if it's because I am tall -- it seems to read better if I punch downwards, but I still get some misses. My wife rocks at the same game; she's about a foot shorter than me and doesn't have any problem with the nunchuk.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any problems with the nunchuck in rhythm kung fu. Maybe its because your nunchucks are messed up and mine aren't. My friends don't have the problem either so I think it is just your nunchucks. Buy a new one and try it.

I rock at Birds eye bulls eye. I just unlocked the expert level 2 days ago. You just need upper body strength and balance. You will get better.

In the obstacle course, I can register the jumps most of the time but not all the time. I did unlock the advanced level but I don't think after I beat it I got to the Expert level.

I am pretty good at the big top juggling thing. I got to advanced but can''t get the nunchuck to register after I get three balls half the time. I like it though.

I am the bomb at skateboard arena. My friend sucks but I rule. I can't unlock expert but I don't know why. If you want 2 points on ramps or in the bowl or half pipe, jump when you hit the top and you will get 2 points.

Anonymous said...

I have two nunchucks and I feel like both of them don't register my movements accurately in rhythm parade, which makes me made because I feel like I'm getting the moves right but not getting credit. I don't really want to go out and throw more money at nunchucks, but maybe I'll change the batteries and see if that helps...let me know if you find a nunchuck solution.

Anonymous said...

The same thing happens to me on the rhythm parade. It is very frustrating. I feel that I am accurate, but I keep registering misses.

Also, I can't seem to pass the expert level of the bird's eye bull's eye. I don't know what I have to do to pass it. Any suggestions?