Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Sarah Jane Adventures: "The Eternity Trap" - Ghost Hunters! EMF! And a truly haunting haunted house! YAY! Hubby-Eric and I both thought that the gentleman playing Lord Marchwood looked an awful lot like the fellow who plays Sir Guy of Gisborne on Robin Hood, but they aren't the same person. As for the story itself, I was only annoyed by the fact that Sarah Jane and her gang were ignoring the first rule of Ghost Hunting (never go off alone). The rest was a lot of fun.
  • Robin Hood: "Cause and Effect" - Surprisingly touching story of rebellion. The newest cast member, Kate, makes an impressive debut tormenting Robin. And what happens to Gisborne... well, this changed things a little.
  • Robin Hood: "Lost in Translation" - Ah, the reason for the Abbot's deception was terribly real. I love how Tuck reacts, and the reactions of the other members of Robin's gang, particularly John, were fascinating as well. I love Much's response as well. Another good episode.
  • Dinner Impossible: "WWE: A Mission on the Mat" - I am not a wrestling fan, so the stars they presented didn't amuse me. Although that guy (The Big Show) is really really big. I know that Robert is very tall, so seeing him dwarfed was good. I thought for sure Robert was going to have a full-on brawl in that kitchen. Good thing Robert is a pretty strong guy too. Oh yeah, the food? Looked like standard Robert fare. I'd love to try a meal by him some day.
  • Ghost Lab: "John Wilkes Booth" - Ok, bringing in an audience was just funny. I really wonder what they thought of the performance by the Klinge-ons. The idea of the ghost of a single person haunting two locations is an interesting one, but I would think that they should prove that a ghost is actually a person haunting a place. The theories about Booth surviving are ones I'd never heard before, so that bit was fun to learn about.
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "The Fate of Equinox" - YAY! AQUAMAN! Oh, yeah, and Doctor Fate and Batman. But Aquaman! The Bat-collective was pretty cool, too. And I liked seeing a lot of heroes at once, even if they didn't get lines. And seeing Atlantis is always neat as well. And Aquaman! Yay!
  • Heroes: "Shadowboxing" - Sylar... ug. Claire... eh, ok. Circus guy Samuel... yuck. Matt's solution to the Sylar problem... interesting. Peter and Emma, very good. Next week's previews: gives away the entire show.
  • Numb3rs: "Ultimatum" - You know, the guy who plays Ian also played Aquaman's dad in the ill-fated pilot. And this was a pretty good one, even though I wasn't entirely sure what Ian was trying to prove until the end got closer. Lots about friendship and trust in this one.
  • Ghost Hunters: "New Hampshire Gothic" - I really wish they wouldn't talk into their walkie-talkies while driving. It just seems a bad example. Anyway... The Amos Blake House looks like a good little museum. A ghost cat! I wanna have a ghost cat! I wasn't convinced by the chain and tools moving: old house equals shifting walls, floors, and ceilings. The Arbona Building was a similar structure, old and creaky. I like the advice to put up webcams. If you are having a haunting, putting up cameras seems like a no-brainer.
  • Ghost Hunters Academy: "Web of Deceit" - I guess training new blood is good, but I'm just not impressed by the candidates. The prize of investigating with the GHI team, and maybe eventually the main TAPS crew seems nice enough. They go to Fort Mifflin, which TAPS investigated before. The medium refuses to go on the tour, which is both good and bad. I do like Steve's lesson on the power of suggestion. And good grief, the other woman claims to be an empath? A medium and an empath? *sigh* Give me a break.
  • Sarah Jane Adventures: "Mona Lisa's Revenge" - Not the best, but still better than a lot of TV these days. The plot was fun, if incredibly ridiculous, and the solution was fairly obvious. I have to wonder what the folks who got trapped in paintings thought of the whole thing. And I wonder if the canvas of the Mona Lisa still has "This is a fake" written on it from City of Death?



This week's comic book related review is Power Girl #1-6. Hubby-Eric hunted these down, and I have NO idea why, no none at all... ok, yeah, hubby is a JSA fan so he wanted to catch up on her adventures. He also considered getting Magog, but didn't. Anyhow, we finally managed to get all the issues, and I read them all at once. I thought these were great. I particularly love the artwork. It just makes everyone look great. I like the new Terra, though I was extremely confused by her at first. I didn't read the mini, so I had no idea who or what she was and had to go hunting online until I found a wiki entry that explained her.



My library book this week was The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga. This book is oddly intense. While reading it I got a horrible sense of time, and how it's been moving along and how I will never, ever, understand the next generation because they are being raised in a foreign world. And yet, they are still the same as us, human at the core. And I understand the emotional conflicts of these two quite well even if the trappings of their lives are completely different than what I grew up with. Anyway, enough with the deep thoughts... although this book hit me hard in a lot of ways. The major plot point, Fanboy's meeting with a Bendis, felt like watching a train headed for a cliff. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but I knew the odds for a good result were against Fanboy. The actual scene exceeded my expectations, and made me really curious if Bendis has read this book. In some ways my knowledge of the comic book industry denied some of the fun of this book for me, but I think it helped in a lot of ways that I understood most of the comic book references. Highly recommended.



Agatha Christie this week was A Murder is Announced from 1950. A local newspaper announces that there will be a murder at a local home, so everyone shows up expecting some sort of silly game. Again, there were twists and turns and red herrings and I got some bits but completely missed the biggest bits. I don't know that I will ever get any of these, because Christie is so much more clever than I am. This one even gave me a headache from trying so hard to figure out what I wasn't seeing. Ah well, I love the Miss Marple stories. As a side note, one of the characters writes a play called "Elephants Can Remember" which I seem to recall is the title of a later Christie novel.



0 comments: