Thursday, June 02, 2011

Stepford Plants Report

Well, the zombie zucchini continues to make me wonder. Will it survive? Will it die? Have I succeeded in the impossible: killing a zucchini plant before it produces too much fruit for a family of 9 to eat in a summer? I'm not sure, and I'm sure I won't know for a few more days yet. In the meantime I'll keep watering it and see what happens.

Dramatic Plum Stick

It was dark and stormy today, which is one of the problems I'm having in figuring out how much to water my plants. It seems like it must be rainy, but it's not. The storms mostly just pass over the valley. But being a Seattle gal, I see the clouds and somewhere deep inside I have the sense that it's going to rain or it has rained, and I don't have to worry about watering. Which is totally wrong. It's very strange to go outside with grumpy clouds hovering over town and still water my plants, but it's what I have to do. If I can get that into my head, perhaps my more picky plants will survive.

Norwegian Plum Stick

We had a pretty severe thunderstorm in the area over the last couple of days, but we haven't got that much rain here. A valley over they got record levels of rain, but here? Hardly anything. And so I have been going out and watering.

Grafted Plum

The plum trees could probably survive a little less watering than I'm providing, but I'm sure they will grow faster if they get enough liquid. But I'm not really worried about them...

Very small Triffid

My triffid (moneymaker tomato) isn't having any trouble despite my initial issues with watering. Considering what happened last year, I'm just not worried about it. I will almost certainly get these tomatoes this year unless I just completely stop watering this plant. And that's not going to happen.

Zombie Zucchini

I still can't tell if it is dead or alive. It might have survived. The bloom seems to be growing still, but I can't be certain if it's just stretching out to lay down and collapse on the dirt. I just don't know. If it starts to grow leaves again, then I will have hope. Until then, I just have no idea.

Tiny Tims

I was shocked to see that one of the blossoms on the Tiny Tim has turned into a tiny tomato. I really ought to plant these suckers outside so they have enough room and nourishment to grow into big happy tomato plants.

Tiny Tims

Here's a nice close-up on the Tiny Tim Tiny Tomato.

Mismatched Peppers

And last but not least are my pair of mismatched Peppers. The one that sprouted first is the smaller one, and the other seems to be growing extremely well. If the temperature would just rise a little, I think I would dare to plant at least the big one outside. But I've been warned they are picky plants, so I'm waiting for a rise in the temperature. Which we should get real soon here. After all, it's June. Isn't it?

0 comments: