Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Sunday Review

It's Sunday again? How'd that happen? I just got through with Monday...

With my new job, my Sunday reviews may get a little sparse for a bit. I'm not going to complain, and I hope you don't either. Once I'm fully back into the swing of things, I'm sure I'll get to reviewing more, because I'll get back to reading and watching TV again. In the meantime I guess I'll dip into my backlog of reviews.



This week's comic book related review is Dragonbreath: Lair of the Bat Monster by Ursula Vernon, fourth book in the Dragonbreath series. Danny and Wendell find a bat drowning in a swimming pool and go on a Batastic adventure to help it. I love these books. They are funny, sweet, and have characters that are consistently amusing when they aren't downright funny. Now we can add "educational" to the list again with this installment, as the information about Bats in this book is almost comprehensive for a kids' book. Of course, then there's the bat monster... but still, worth it both for the fun and for the education. I know of two more books in this series already, and I've already put in for them at the library. My reviews of Dragonbreath #1, Dragonbreath #2, Dragonbreath #3.



My Kindle book this week was The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mysteries) by Mark Schweizer. Hayden Konig lives in a small town in North Carolina playing the organ at the local church and acting as the town's police detective, and has to solve his first murder as the Christmas season is starting. I got this book free; someone surprised me with it as a gift. I had put it on my wishlist after reading a positive review of it and hadn't really thought of it since then. But once I had it on my Kindle of course I read it. And it was a good, fun read. The main character, Hayden, is one of those unlikeable men who has enough of a sense of humor to redeem himself. His view of the world isn't the most comfortable and his ethics are a little questionable, but the humor that infects everything he does from his dreadful would-be detective novel to the silly events in the town makes the book worth it. The central mystery itself wasn't too difficult to solve as the clues were all around, but the way it was solved in the book was both hilarious and heartbreaking. Schweizer is no Agatha Christie, but he doesn't need to be with the characters and town he's created to work with. A fun story, worth checking out... especially if you love music and don't mind gentle jabs at church politics.



Wanna see what I'm doing at my job? I want to reiterate that the opinions expressed on this blog and all my websites are my own and don't reflect those of my employer.

1 comments:

Carolyn said...

Congrats Laura! Looks like a great job. I know a few who work on the local papers here...

Good for you...:)