Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Young Justice: "Terrors" - Not much Aqualad in this one. In fact, it's pretty much all about Superboy and Miss Martian figuring each other out. I really liked Icicle Jr in this one.
  • Young Justice: "Homefront" - Again, not much with Aqualad. This is a siege story with the focus on Robin and Artemis. There is an intriguing bit about Aqualad trying to find the mole on the team, and I wanted a little more of that particular plotline. Maybe next episode.
  • Young Justice: "Alpha Male" - Aqualad's leadership of the team is questioned as they recover from Red Tornado's treason. I liked that he's got self-doubt, and I like better that the team finally got over their anger and listened to him. Oh, and Captain Marvel was a kick, too.

  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold: "Powerless!" - Captain Atom is a jerk, but I'm not sure that he deserved a serenade by Aquaman. I don't think anyone deserves a serenade by Aquaman. Still, fun little episode, even with the singing.



This week's movie was The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Chapter 10: Phantom Train of Doom (Africa, 1916). Indy and Remy arrive in Africa but miss their train and end up having a series of adventures. This is slapstick Indy style, in the best way. Remy makes for a good straight man when they are together. And when they aren't, the story still rollicks along thanks to the frontiersmen. As usual, the extras are educational. This is a pretty good one.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 5th
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: The Library #2 - Well, not what I was exactly expecting. I thought the various folks would remain divided in different stories, not come together so quickly. That's a positive. And the final splash reveals why Eric wanted this series. Yup, Oz-related.
  • Justice League International #2 - Booster just isn't that great as a leader in the best of times, so I'm not sure I like how this is leading to him growing into the role. Then again, we're always complaining that the super-heroes never get to evolve, so I guess this opens some possibilities.
  • Stormwatch #2 - Still not liking this book. I just haven't got a grip on the characters, and J'onn isn't the man he used to be. So I'm just a little lost. We'll have to see if it builds into something I enjoy.
  • Oct 12th
  • Mister Terrific #2 - Confusing and more than a little disjointed. I'm following the book, but there's so much more this could be, it's a constant disappointment.
  • Green Lantern #2 - I do not like Sinestro, but he's got a point about Hal. And he's way better at being a Green Lantern as well. It'll be very interesting to see how Hal deals with this situation.
  • Resurrection Man #2 - I'm really curious to see where this is going. No memories, fine, new powers each time, fine. Body Doubles back in action, fine. Where's the rest of the backstory? I hope it starts to come out soon.
  • Northlanders #45 - Well, that was a interesting time jump and a dangerous twist. But wouldn't there be more than just a brother and sister? I mean, there must be cousins and such that also lay claim to the name. I swear, this book always makes me want to do research.
  • SpongeBob Comics #5 - No Mermaid Man. Overall, cute and funny.
  • Oct 19th
  • Justice League #2 - Still no Aquaman, and the whole thing is a bit too X-Men for me. Persecuted heroes, boo-hoo. That isn't the DCU I like.
  • Green Lantern Corps #2 - Um. Ok. Still not enough information for me to know whether or not I'll like this story.
  • Tiny Titans #45 - Aqua-Cow. Playing soccer. But not Aqualad, not even any Aqua-ohs. *sigh*
  • Young Justice #9 - Why is Captain Atom sending the team to investigate his own past? Still, fun little set up for what promises to be an interesting mystery. I liked reading about Kaldur's father. Makes everything fit just a little better into the world of DC. And confuses things a little more, too. Still, a neat touch.
  • Fables #110 - I bet I would find this a lot funnier if I knew what a Yoop was. Still, pretty funny. I like the characterizations of the other cardinal winds.
  • Doctor Who #10 - If a Time Lord's consciousness cannot survive in a human body... of course we know that already with Donna. So this is going to be strange. At least we don't have to listen to some ridiculous switched voices.
  • Sergio Aragones Funnies #4 - I love the whole Hallowe'en theme of the cover, and how Sergio pretty much dismisses it right off in the book. I admit my favorite bits are the "Young Sergio" stories, and while I'm not a big marionette fan, Sergio almost made me one with his lovely tale. His enthusiasm and joy shine through the pages to the reader.
  • Oct 26th
  • Aquaman #2 - I love seeing Aquaman in civvies. And out of civvies. Er. That didn't sound quite right. Ahem. Aquaman is called in by someone who clearly believes in him, which is interesting. The reactions to Aquaman vary a lot. Some think he's a joke, but the deputy clearly understands his abilities, and the diver in the water has the same feeling I have: "I'd kill to breathe underwater without this gear." A very strange finish though. Does the spit paralyze?
  • Green Lantern New Guardians #2 - Everyone is annoyed at Kyle. That's nothing new. Not good news about Ganthet, though.
  • All New Batman the Brave and the Bold #12 - All the spooks come out for Hallowe'en. And Batman admits to not liking it. No surprise there. As for the bad guy, had him pegged right away.
  • DMZ #70 - Wasn't really expecting that to happen. It makes a great deal of sense, but I still wasn't expecting it. Huh. Not much more to go now.
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz #2 - Ah, I remember the picking of the queen. And the piglets. I seem to recall the Oogaboos once dressed up as the piglets. Sort of. Anyway, the Wizard and Dorothy make the logical choice at the time. I think I remember what happens next, though.
  • Nov 2nd
  • Justice League International #3 - Progressing nicely. I like the team, overall. Ok, not a big fan of Guy, but you can't have everything. Once again I'm confused by how much of the old universe is still intact in this reboot. I guess at some point we'll all have it figured out.
  • Stormwatch #3 - Nope, still not feeling it. I don't know any of the characters, which makes it really hard to jump in. I'm beginning to get a sense of them, but it's slow. I liked the city avatars. Gotham fit particularly well.
  • Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #1 - I really hope this is mostly set up, because as a plot there's not a lot there yet. We enter the story three years in, with Dorothy and her trusty horse Toto trying to find the remnants of the yellow brick road so they can make their way to the Emerald City. And shoes? No, six-shooters in this one. Possibly a great deal of fun, but there wasn't much plot-wise in this issue. Just a lot of scene setting.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #141 - It's the 200th issue of the stand alone comic book! And the back cover of this issue is rather impressive. Making the layout work with the wraparound covers must have been quite a job. As to the story itself, I enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed how the jizo eventually did play a part. A good story for the 200th. Here's to 200 more!
  • Peanuts #0 - Um. It's peanuts. I wasn't sure I'd like someone else doing strips, but it's not too bad overall. I'm curious to see more.



My library book this week was The Curse of the Wendigo (Monstrumologist Book Two) by Rick Yancey. Young Will Henry travels with the monstrumologist to Northern Canada to find and bring back a fellow monstrumologist, and in the process learns a lot more about his master. The first book was all about fighting monsters, very clear and obvious monsters that had specific goals and were battled with specific methods. This book, which is more divided into pieces than the first book, is much more about the monsters of the mind. Whether or not the Wendigo is real the process is real, and Will's documentation of it is chilling. In the end, I was not as pleased with this book as with the first, but I'm still interested enough in Will's story and the amusing framing sequence to give the third volume a look. Not a book, or series, for the faint of heart. I would not even classify it as young adult, as the events are fairly nasty and graphic. But definitely a good horror tale for people who enjoy the genre and like some mystery in their Victorian style reading. Just read the first book first.



0 comments: