Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Hyper Cat - Inkwell Update

Ok. So. He seemed to recover from his initial sickness, then from his surgery, then he started to get sick again. More sneezing, more weepy eye. And worst of all, he started to have little episodes when he apparently couldn't breathe and was wheezing on the floor. He looked like he was about to upchuck, but would just be taking deep, gasping breaths.

Eric and I discussed calling the vet, then decided I would. And the morning I planned to call the vet, he vomited all over the floor. That was a kick in the butt for me, so I got him in that day and he went through the full examination. No fever (and boy did he think we were strange when we took his temp). The vet asked to test him for feline leukemia and FIV, explaining that if he had them, he would have a short and painful life but we could try making it as comfortable as possible.

Recalling that this was the same vet who warned me about the possibility of kitten parvo, I decided she was preparing me for the worst. I agreed to have him tested and sat in the examination room with Inkwell while we waited for results. Inky climbed up on my shoulders and wouldn't get off even when the vet came back into the room.

Inkwell did not have either disease, so we figured it was still the cat herpes and he is likely just too young to fight it off completely. So I was given pills to give him once a day, a powder to go in his food twice a day, ear lotion to go in his ears once a week and eye drops to go in his eyes twice a day.

It's been a week, and he's doing much better at the moment. He doesn't much like the ear stuff, but as it's once a week it's not a pain to give him yet. The eye drops are the worst problem and he tries to get away when I get the drops out. The powder and pills go in his food and don't bother him at all. And it's been working, his eyes are clearer and he hasn't sneezed much at all the last few days. So I think he's much better.

While I was away at comicon, the kitten found the laser toy my sister brought me and has apparently hid it. He also was very pleased to see me when I got home, and blissed out on me with the purring massage early this morning.


Carolyn said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad he has such great owners as you both...