Sunday, May 06, 2012

A Sunday Review

This week's movie was The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Chapter 14: Espionage Escapades (1917) - This is the ridiculous one. It starts with bumbling spies in Barcelona and Indy being put into an utterly silly situation that gets rapidly more silly. Then Indy meets Kafka and we get a total bizarre and freaky story. A bit too much. Again, the documentaries shine.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Dec 7th
  • Justice League International #4 - And... Booster's team of misfits fails to save the world. Figures.
  • Stormwatch #4 - So, the group wins the day by talking to some ancient city, thus setting up another storyline for the future. I'm not sure what is going on here. I'm not sure what I expect. I'm not sure we're going to be keeping this book.
  • Dec 14th
  • Mister Terrific #4 - There is something just *off* about this book. It's like it's going through the paces, but doesn't quite want to be there. I was really looking forward to it, now I'm just disappointed.
  • Green Lantern #4 - Lovely cliffhanger. Nothing less than what Sinestro really deserves. Pity he's going to survive it. He's practically the hero of the book now, so he can't die.
  • Resurrection Man #4 - Lots of fighting, and the unkillable guy gets killed. Not sure what to make of it. Not sure I should be reading this sort of comic late at night, either, but here I am.
  • Batman: The Brave and the Bold #14 - Don't know why, but this one really made me happy. I never really thought of Ragman as a character who protected a neighborhood, but it works.
  • SpongeBob Comics #6 - Mermaid Man shows up (sort of) so it's a good issue.
  • Doctor Who #12 - An almost wordless Christmas tale, with some hilarious moments and a few touching moments. I liked it. Artwork was a little rough, but it was good enough for what it was.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Presents the Library #3 - Not entirely what I expected from this book. True, there is some formula there, but the creators are having fun with it. And the Wicked Witch is nicely frightening, as are the flying monkeys. Good stuff.
  • Dec 21st
  • Justice League #4 - Can't stand Aquaman's look, but the response to GL's "what can you do that we can't?" was pretty nice. Lose the jewelry, Aquaman. Sheesh. Yuck.
  • Green Lantern Corps #4 - Ok, so the lanterns belonged to a planet, and the Guardians took them away. That's annoying. But more annoying is how Martian Manhunter has been retconned in the new 52. I think I'm ready to go back to the real DC Universe now.
  • Tiny Titans #47 - Arthur Jr is so cute. And I love his announcements of each of the sea creatures he called up to visit him. SO CUTE!
  • Young Justice #11 - Not a lot of Aqualad, but there's set up there. I want this series to go on for a long time, which means it'll be canceled soon.
  • Fables #112 - There is too much of this book to catch up on. I hope we can start getting the trades soon so we can. I understood the gist of the story, but I didn't really understand the circumstances.
  • Sergio Aragones Funnies #6 - The Kachina Dancers story was really chilling and neat. I also liked the Christmas set up story and the railroad tale. As usual, if you like Sergio's artwork, you need to get this.
  • Dec 28th
  • Aquaman #4 - I like that Aquaman cares. That's the Aquaman I know, the one I'm a fan of. He cares about the creatures of the trench, even though he accepts what he has to do. Not sure about the dog, though.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #4 - I still don't have a lot of interest in this storyline. But I'm still reading it. I'm not sure why.
  • DMZ #72 - What a ride this book has been! I enjoyed the trip, overall. Didn't understand all of it, but I understood enough. And, it's a pretty good way to bookend it... literally.
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz #4 - I didn't remember most of the adventures depicted in this issue, so my memory of the book is clearly not that great. But wow, very fun. I loved how Eureka was playing with the fish.



This week's comic book related review is Amelia Rules: The Meaning of Life... and Other Stuff by Jimmy Gownley. This made me cry. Again. This book often brings tears to my eyes. It's really really good stuff told in a simple and dynamic way that makes you just want to reread it and then give it to a kid so they can see that they aren't alone either. It's just really good stuff. Did I mention it was good? Seriously, go out and get Amelia Rules.



0 comments: