Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Sep 26th
  • Aquaman #0 - Yet another version of Aquaman's origin. Yet another version of Orm's origin. Still, at least we know where we stand on them.
  • Superman Family Adventures #5 - That's a different take on Parasite. And I like how they get rid of Lex.
  • Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who: Assimilation #5 - Some nice work with Amy there at the end. I really like some of the artwork in this, but I wish it was better at telling the story instead of just being pretty.
  • Bart Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror #18 - Is it just me or were two of the stories even more incomprehensible than usual for this anthology? Eh.
  • Spongebob Comics #12 - There's a sweet tribute to Ernest Borgnine, voice of Mermaid Man, inside the back cover. I was touched.
  • Steed and Mrs Peel Ongoing #1 - I'm kind of certain this must be a dream of some sort, but I'm not sure how or why.
  • Oct 3rd
  • Doctor Who V3 #1 - Nicely done, double-cliffhanger although one less cliff-hanging than the other. Looking forward to the next one.
  • Earth 2 #5 - This world seems to be pulling together now in my mind. I was a little surprised at the consultant.
  • World's Finest #5 - This issue has a double-flashback to show what the gals are doing in their "spare time" when they aren't hanging out together. Fun.
  • Green Lantern #13 - I really like Aquaman in that final splash. Yum. The story, eh, about what I expected once I read the last issue. I want something more.
  • Smallville Season 11 #6 - Not really fond of the Smallville universe's Batman. Oh well, I'm not the target audience anyway, I don't think.
  • Batman/Scooby Doo Halloween Fest #1 - Two fun little tales. I enjoyed it. And the price was right.
  • Muppets #4 - Winter. Winter is fine. I like that Piggy accepted the gift.
  • Road to Oz #2 - Now THAT'S a cool design for Polychrome. Wow.
  • Oct 10th
  • Green Lantern Corps #13 - Oans as bad guys is really annoying.
  • Green Lantern: The Animated Series #7 - This is a better Green Lantern universe, but it's still not really my cuppa.
  • MacGyver: Fugitive Gaunlet #1 - The character is right enough, but the artwork is a little pathetic in storytelling and MacGyver doesn't really look like MacGyver. Still, I'll give it time. Hopefully the storytelling will improve.
  • Hoax Hunters #4 - Still confusing, still jumping around a little. I want some answers from the book. Not getting any yet. But it's keeping me reading, so I guess it's working.
  • Spongebob Comics #13 - There's a kind of cool Mermaid Man story in there, with typical Spongebobiness. Still, neat to see Bissette's Mermaid Man.



My Kindle book this week was The Spirit Ring by Lois McMaster Bujold. I've been wanting to read this for awhile, it was the only in print work by Bujold I hadn't read. Once I started, I didn't want to finish it because I wanted it to last longer. But I couldn't stop myself from finishing it in one night. If you like Bujold's work, you will like this. I'll put it in my reread list because I've found that virtually every work by Bujold can be read repeatedly and still enjoyed.