Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 14th
  • Justice League of America #7 - This honestly makes very little sense... because I missed the third part of the story in Justice League Dark. Ug. At least there are a couple of panels of Aquaman looking cool.
  • World's Finest #15 - So that's the cliffhanger? A statement? Some scratches? Um, ok. I'm not really feeling it.
  • Green Lantern Corps #23 - Moves the story along, brings in some cosmic weirdness. Ok.
  • Smallville Season 11 #16 - And now there's Wonder Woman. Ok. In some ways this is almost better than the regular DCU books. In others... well, I'm just not sure about it.
  • Astro City #3 - Cleopatra is right. Not everyone would go to such lengths to fix a mistake that anyone could have, and more people would have, made. Wow, I felt really good once I finished this issue. I remember why I love Astro City so much.
  • Doctor Who V3 #12 - Go Clara! I suspect most companions would not have done that, although they are famous for wandering off.
  • 100 Penny Press: Star Trek #1 - The new crew didn't do it for me in this. I suppose the art was faithful enough to them, but these versions of the character are not familiar enough to me. The story was ok, but I wish it had been a complete one.
  • Spongebob Comics #23 - Not much to interest me in this one.



My library book this week was The Alpine Gamble by Mary Daheim. Californian developers come to Alpine, but don't receive a warm welcome. I actually got to really like the victim in this one. I mean, I developed a warm feeling for the guy and started to feel for him... then... ahem. Anyway, the mystery hinged on birds, and I was certainly flummoxed although I shouldn't have been. If I'd thought about it for another few minutes instead of just rapidly reading forward I would have caught the same thing Emma eventually did. As it was, the solution wasn't entirely obvious but it was well set up and certainly made sense. I like that the little terror Roger actually had a role to play in this one as well. It's tough to keep myself from jumping into the next book immediately, but I have other books to read. If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.



This week's comic book related review is Crime Wave! (DC Super Friends - Step into Reading) by Billy Wrecks, illustrations by Dan Schoening. This is a preschool to Grade 1 reader, so it has extremely simple language. The plot is pretty simple, too. Black Manta attempts to steal a pearl while Aquaman, Batman and Superman are right there. The art is fun, the story is amusing and slightly silly, the final page made me laugh aloud, so I think it's a decent little book. And it's always good when Aquaman is the one who definitely saves the day.



0 comments: