I'm way behind on my comics reviews for three reasons. One is that I simply get my comics late, at the end of each month. With no local shop to go to, I have to mail order and to save on shipping I opt for once-a-month shipments. So I'm already starting a month behind. The second reason is that my most recent shipment, which included the final week of December's comics, was more than a week late due to weather problems that caused shipping delays. The final reason is time, including my job, which hasn't allowed me a lot of time to sit and read... particularly since I haven't had a comfortable place in the house to read since Eric has been watching the Olympics in the main room of the house.
So reading for pleasure has been at a minimum the past couple of weeks. Eventually I will catch up again. I always seem to manage. My hobbies tend to go in phases, I've noticed. Just wait until I start to catch up on my Fortean Times reviewing...
DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
- Jan 8th
- Green Lantern #27 - Nice set up. Very completely done.
- Earth 2 #19 - Ok, I really like Marella. And it was nice to see some smart guards... like Kym. I would say that the guard is a dead woman, but it appears she's with Batman, so she might live a little longer...
- Smallville Alien #2 - Um. The plot thickens? Honestly, I can barely follow what's going on in this mish-mash of a book.
- Scooby Doo Team-up #2 - Ace and Scooby. Not a bad little team-up. I do hope we get a few other heroes besides the Bat-family in this book eventually.
- Three #4 - Betrayed. I kind of expecting that sort of end for Terpander. But the other two... this doesn't bode well, does it?
- Hoax Hunters #13 - Again, this book suffers from poor storytelling through the artwork and extremely dark coloring that pretty much make it just short of incomprehensible. I don't know if I'll pick up any future series or not.
- Steam Engines of Oz V2 #2 - I'm not entirely sure what's happening here, but it's very interesting.
- The Legend of Oz: The Wicked West #14 - And... I'm still liking this version, too. The continuing tale of the Golden Cap has me spellbound.
- Spongebob Comics #28 - Only Spongebob and Patrick could be that dumb.
My library/Kindle book this week was Insurgent by Veronica Roth. After a brutal uprising, Tris has to decide who to trust to lead her people to the future. This literally picks up just a few moments after the end of the first book, and provides some good moments, packed with action and emotion. Then there's the whole twist of love being not quite what it ought to be. The ending was very much a "WHA?" moment, and now I'm really curious how the entire cast will react to that bit of news. I have no idea of what is going to come next.
My mystery book this week was The Alpine Recluse by Mary Daheim. An Alpiner is murdered and the chief suspect might be a hermit with a secret. A kind of average episode, with Emma being incredibly distracted and having the usual issues with her love life. As always, there were a few incredibly funny moments. Emma finding the search party in her back yard was one. Overall, pretty good. Looking forward to what happens with her new love interest. If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.