Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Doctor Who: "Last Christmas" - A bit of a mess in some ways, but the dream within a dream within a dream concept is nice, if frustrating. Especially since the story starts with something dreamlike. As for the rest... it was nice to see "Strax" without the makeup. Nice to resolve whether or not Clara is returning. Lots of clever bits, including Shona's close questioning of Santa. I liked seeing another son of Troughton, as well. The Alien joke was also fantastic. In short, there was plenty to like. There were some possibly glaring plot holes and some questions left after the episode ended, but perhaps that's just how it's going to be. Only Who knows.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 22nd
  • Aquaman #35 - So, someone gets his dearest dream, which leads to another problem. Nice. I also like Aquaman's way of dealing with the traitors.
  • Red Lanterns #35 - More of the massive and annoying crossover. Not sure when this will be over, but I'm not really all that interested.
  • Secret Origins #6 - Three characters I am not terribly interested in, although I don't dislike any of them. This was ok.
  • Multiversity: The Just #1 - That is one completely screwed up universe. At least there was an Aquaman (or two) there. Good to see Garth again.
  • Batman '66 #16 - Wow, Egghead is really annoying. And this one goes even further out-of-scientific bounds than usual. Still, fun to see Ape-Batman and Ape-Robin.
  • Batman Beyond Universe #15 - It really feels like these stories are wrapping up, but there's still more to be told.
  • Twilight Zone #9 - Starts out fairly normal. Still connected with the other stories, I see.
  • Oddly Normal #2 - I vaguely recall this from the previous series, but I'm looking forward to another look at Fignation. This was definitely one of the good ones, it's good to see it back.
  • Steampunk BSG 1880 #3 - And all the pieces are together, next we get to see if the colonials can win. Overall I'm enjoying this take on the original. Amusing stuff.
  • Oct 29th
  • Justice League United Annual #1 - I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of the Legion, but this is a fun sort of crossover. I'm pleased that both plotlines appear to be merging again.
  • Sinestro #6 - Mega-crossover still, but I'm mildly amused that it's the Yellow Lanterns to the rescue. Ha.
  • Groo vs Conan #4 - This book was strange from start to finish. I love the clash of artwork almost as much as the silly story. I just feel sorry for Conan. He may be a barbarian, but he's got way more in his head than Groo.
  • Litle Nemo: Return to Slumberland #2 - Poor Jimmy. And yet... I've read enough of the original strips to feel like this has captured the heart of them. The art is exquisite. The characters are fun so far. I'm looking forward to the next issue.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Warlord of Oz #6 - There's a story in there! It's a little buried, but this issue kind of pulls it together.
  • Doctor Who 11th #4 - Alice hits the nail on the head with the Doctor. He tries, but he can really be a bit more lordly than he means to be. Meanwhile, Jones is a kick.

0 comments: