Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Nov 19th
  • Justice League #36 - Not much of Aquaman... just a patient. And Aquaman isn't entirely human, either, so I would have expected a different effect on him. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
  • Green Lantern: New Guardians #36 - After all he went through to get the ring, Kyle just hands it over to the first pretender? No... just no. This is a silly part of the plotline.
  • Harley Quinn #12 - Hubby-Eric got this one because of the Power Girl appearance. It appears we should have gotten more issues. This is a pretty fun, if very very odd, book. I like the pug.
  • Multiversity: Pax Americana #1 - I have a feeling I would understand this book if I read it a couple more times, but I didn't like it enough to want to reread it. A conundrum.
  • Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #5 - That beginning was such a tease for me. To almost show me gaslight Aquaman, but never get any closer than his people's ships? How dare they! As for the rest, fun. But I really need some Aquaman soon or I may have to drop this book.
  • Batman '66 meets Green Hornet #6 - I have a feeling that Batman suspects Green Hornet's secret at the end, but it's hard to say for sure. I was certain he'd say he knew by the end of the mini.
  • Batman '66: The Lost Episode #1 - This deluxe issue contains the story, the original penciled artworks (all of it!) and the original script for the episode written by Harlan Ellison. Wow. I'm amused by the story, and I enjoyed it overall. And it's nice to have the extras.
  • Astro City #17 - A sweet little tale of sadness, one that I think made me fall in love with the book yet again. I swear, you want a super-hero book, this is the one to pick up.
  • Fables #146 - Oh good, another origin story coming on the horizon. And in the meantime, Grimble appears to be having too much fun as a bird.
  • Powers: Bureau #12 - So, that's the end. Sort of. As much as I've grown to like this series, I'm not willing to wait a year between issues. I may buy future trades, but I'm not going to go for single issues again.
  • Doctor Who 12th #2 - Just how many wars did the Time Lords get involved in? Seriously, this race that didn't get involved seems to have often gotten their hands dirty, both within the regular series and in the comics. Sheesh. Maybe the Doctor really left to get away from the warmongering hypocrites.
  • Peanuts V2 #23 - I'm not sure what to say about this book. It's good. It's consistent. I like the Schulz pieces the best, but there are times the newer stuff almost reaches those heights. It's nostalgic and fun at once. I like this comic.
  • Nov 26th
  • Aquaman #36 - Atlantis itself is an entity... ok. I like the method Aquaman picked to figure it out. It's turning into a nice little mystery. I'm fairly certain I won't like the end. Any time Aquaman's mother turns up... well, the track record just hasn't been that good.
  • Secret Origins #7 - The Flash, Huntress and Superboy. I liked the first two, I couldn't make heads or tails out of the Superboy story.
  • Red Lanterns #36 - Leave it to Guy to end up teleporting into the worst possible situation. The new 52 universe is still throwing me, I was a little shocked that Cyborg and Guy weren't friends, or at least associates, already.
  • Batman '66 #17 - The art didn't work for me in this one. The story was cute and all, but the art just made me not want to read it.
  • Batman Beyond Universe #16 - So, that's the end. Ok. I suppose it works out.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #6 - Oh joy! Part of another crossover! Yay! *sarcasm off* This book made a little bit of sense despite being part of a crossover, but I'm really stick of crossovers, personally. But I guess that's a problem with being a comic book fan.
  • Oddly Normal #3 - This book is awesome and I'm so glad to have it back. I remember a lot of it, but frankly I'm still pleased. I look forward to each new issue.
  • Future Proof #2 - I'm still not sure what this book is really about, and this issue doesn't really clarify.
  • Steampunk BSG 1880 #4 - And... that's that. It was a fun little ride. Not something that would be all that cool to people who weren't already fans of the original series, but neat and nostalic.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Tales from Oz #4 - A done-in-one that explains the relationship between several characters. And why a witch became wicked in the first place.
  • Usagi Yojimbo: Senso #5 - That final page made me squee in utter happiness. I don't know why, I'm not a particular fan of that genre of stories. But I was still in glee at seeing it.



0 comments: