Sunday, April 26, 2015

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Mar 25th
  • Aquaman #40 - So, I suspected that the appearance of Aquaman's mother alone would screw up this story, based on every other story where she's come back, badly, from the dead. I should have had more faith in Jeff Parker's writing skills. This was a story worth reading, and it sets up something very interesting. Aquaman has just been given further proof that he's the rightful ruler of Atlantis... now, what's Cullen Bunn about to do to Aquaman? Hrm... Moving into Convergence with a nice status quo to disrupt.
  • Secret Origins #11 - Constantine, Guy Gardner and Black Canary. Constantine was about what I expected. Guy was annoying. Canary's tale was utterly unlike any other version of her story I've read.
  • Sinestro #11 - Sinestro did what?
  • Multiversity Ultra Comics #1 - That made utterly no sense. And apparently, it's the comic all the characters have been reading in the other Multiversity comics. But that doesn't mean it makes any sense. Maybe it'll all pull together in the end?
  • Batman '66 #21 - Lord Death Man! Oooh! This was a fun issue, if only because of the reference to the manga version of Batman.
  • Doctor Who 11th #10 - Well, that was an abrupt success... I guess. I'm not sure I like Alice as the Doctor.
  • Apr 1st
  • Convergence #0 - Well, after this I'm feeling slightly less enthused about Convergence. I guess the thing about different cities up against each other just doesn't appeal. I want to see the Elseworlds, but I never have enjoyed the arena set-up, which this seems to be.
  • Sinestro Annual #1 - Nice little collection of origin tales with a framing story in which almost nothing happens.
  • Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues #3 - Ultimate fanboy dream come true. Overall I'm enjoying this book.
  • Hoax Hunters 2015 #1 - This picks up where the last series ended, albeit with slightly better art.
  • Doctor Who 9th #1 - Captain Jack, Rose and the Doctor walk into a war... ahem. Fun issue, nice cliffhanger.
  • Flash: Season Zero #7 - King Shark... I still can't get over the fact that they are doing King Shark in this book. Ha. And they are bringing in the Suicide Squad.
  • UFOlogy #1 - Well, that was different. Not entirely what I was expecting, and yet good enough to keep me reading. I want to know what happens next and want to know what happened before.



And with that I'm caught up on the comics we've already received. So maybe I'll throw in some other type of review next week, since I don't think we'll get our next shipment of comics before next Sunday.



0 comments: