Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hugos, another angle...

I'm mostly a pop culture movie/TV watcher, and heavily into the comic book world. So I don't actually have a great idea of what is happening in the rest of the science fiction/fantasy world. I tend to pick up books and short stories years after they've been published, instead of keeping up with the current works. So, rather than stare some more at the train wreck around the Hugos this year, I'd like people to tell me about some works they've seen lately that will qualify for next year's Hugo awards. If it's not obvious, tell me where it was published/how to get it.

I just want to hear about stuff you enjoyed, not every single work. It doesn't have to be Hugo-worthy, but if it was fun and interesting, I want to hear about it. For instance, I enjoyed Galaxy Quest:The Journey Continues, which was published as a four-issue mini by IDW Comics. I am not certain it is Hugo-worthy, but I did like it.

I've also enjoyed the recent Aquaman series by Jeff Parker. I'm not sure any of it qualifies for the Hugo ballot (I'm not really clear on the rules with graphic stories, honestly), but I would probably nominate some of Parker's work, Aquaman or Batman '66... and for that matter, I probably will.

As of ten minutes ago, I have become a supporting member of Sasquan... not to vote in this year's Hugos, but to be part of the nominating process for next year. If I read/watch all the entrants in any particular category this year, I will consider voting in that category. But I suspect I won't have the time to go through all of them. We'll just have to see.

Because I plan on nominating for next year, this post and any that follow it with the "Hugo Suggestions" tag, will be my ongoing journal of what I'm looking at and what I like. I encourage you to post a comment with ANYTHING you think is eligible that you enjoyed, whether you think it's Hugo-worthy or not. In the meantime, I'm going to go read up on the Hugo categories and try to work out what I've already read this year that both qualifies and deserves a Hugo.

So, c'mon people... give me some suggestions.

note: My comments are moderated. I check them about three times a day, once in the morning, once at lunchtime and also in the evening. Please don't submit multiple times. I get an email each time and it fills up my box when I'm away.

0 comments: