Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Sunday Review

It has been a LONG time since I reviewed any comics. It's actually been awhile since I've read any comics. So I'm going to work on catching up. It might take a few weeks.

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • May 18th
  • Aquaman #52 - And so the series ends. The new 52 ends on issue 52 and there's a mystery left to figure out but no immediate threat. All is well in the Aquaman universe? It definitely felt like a much longer storyline was wrapped up due to scheduling reasons and not story reasons, but I'll live. The art is solid, and I'm hoping we see more of Vicente Cifuentes' work in the future. A little chunky in places, but nicely dynamic overall. Not the most interesting finish of an Aquaman series, but... what can you do when DC insists on another reboot?
  • Titans Hunt #8 - Finally we get to the finish, and we get an issue that doesn't feel like it's been padded out. The team is together at last to fight Mr. Twister and whatever is behind door number two. Only, there's someone missing, according to Twister. That's not nearly as important as the team defeating the bad guy, but once that's done it's time to regroup and decide to become the Titans again. Aqualad/Tempest is drawn oddly in many panels in this book. I feel like nobody has come up with a model sheet for him yet or something. I'm looking forward to the new Titans book, just because I want to see how writers handle Garth, but I'm sad that in the current DCU all that Teen Titans history has been lost.
  • Sinestro #23 - A showdown between the Red Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps really isn't much of anything at all, thanks to foresight and planning. And the final goal of Sinestro finally becomes clear... if it's actually his final goal and not just the step to yet another problem. It's all pretty hard to swallow, but since this is the end of this series, I'm not going to let myself become too disturbed by it. I hope DC doesn't abandon Soranik. She's a decent character despite all the flaws of the books she's been in.
  • Astro City #35 - Wow. This is still one of the best superhero books on the shelves. It's quality from start to finish, filling out more of the Astro City universe while giving us a touching back-story that's also a follow-up. If I had to pick one superhero book to read and only one, I'd be hard-pressed to choose between this and Aquaman.
  • Future Quest #1 - I really had no idea what to expect from this, and honestly, my expectations were fairly low. So imagine my surprise when I got a fun start to what promises to be a fascinating story. It features many characters I'm not terribly familiar with, but they are properly introduced for the most part and hopefully the story won't get so crowded that I need a scorecard. Right now, I'm in. This is a great start and I can recommend folks pick it up and give it a shot.
  • Doctor Who 11th #2.9 - This is a very confusing storyline with companions dropping like flies. But I have a feeling it's getting near the climax and we'll have an explanation soon enough for why the Doctor is acting so strange and wrong. At least, I hope so.
  • Xena Warrior Princess #2 - I'm still very confused by this book, although I'm getting a slightly clearer picture. I gather Gabrielle is having visions. And the pair did some things that they regret because they could be taken the wrong way. So we'll have to see where this goes from here to find out if it's worth continuing to buy, because if the story is only for long-time fans who've watched every episode and read every comic available, it might not be something I'm interested in.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #154 - You never know when a little kindness could save your life. And in Usagi's case, it was literally a little kindness that caused a moment's hesitation. He's one lucky rabbit. This is, as usual, one of the best (if not THE best) comic books out there. And standalone issues like this are simply fantastic. Well worth hunting down and reading.




0 comments: