Sunday, December 23, 2018

A Sunday Comic Books Review

I have not been reviewing... or reading... comic books for - um - a long time. As a result, my upcoming reviews will likely be a wee bit short on actual content. Thus I'm going to use my starfish rating system, with zero starfish being "it's awful" and five starfish being "go get it now!"

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jan 24th
  • Three StarfishTeen Titans #16 - A nice little slice-of-life story featuring Starfire. Not really my thing, but it was a fun little tale.
  • Three StarfishBatman Beyond #16 - Return of the Stalker, who has a decent reason to go after Batman. I'm sure there are other ways to solve his problem, though.
  • Three and a half StarfishScooby Doo Team Up #34 - The girls are called on to join the Birds of Prey, and Scooby tags along. Lots of fun in this one, as per usual, with Velma doing her fair share of the detective work. This is a fun series, but are they going to run out of potential team-ups soon?
  • Jan 31st
  • Four and a half StarfishAstro City #50 - Oh. Oh my. I have always loved the story this is a sequel to, "The Nearness of You," but man... I never thought about how it might have affected Michael as he went forward in life knowing he'd lost something so profound. This is the other side of living in a super-hero world. What is it like for those who suffer a loss in such a world? How do they deal with it, day to day? Now we know a little more.
  • Feb 7th
  • Two StarfishBlack Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #4 - This is mostly just one prolonged fight sequence, and, in the end, felt like padding to me instead of story. Black Lightning is working with police, and they clearly appreciate it, which is good... but that's pretty much it. I feel like I could have skipped this issue and not missed anything key to the storyline.
  • Three StarfishBombshells United #11 - Bringing back the dead never really did work in any world.
  • Three StarfishGreen Lanterns #40 - Well, that was telegraphed from the start. Amusing, though. I find the tech nerds to be a little too flippant about what's happening, though. Most nerds I know would be eager to work with the Green Lanterns to solve the problem.
  • Two and a half StarfishJustice League #38 - I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Batman and Superman, but the Flash's story about getting himself back from space was nice. It feels like there's too much not being said in this one. And not nearly enough Aquaman.
  • Two StarfishBack To The Future: Tales from the Time Train #2 - I'm afraid Jules and Verne are getting really annoying. They were mildly obnoxious in the first issue, but now they are getting beyond the point of being entertaining and into being a chore to read about. I guess I'll just have to see where this leads.

0 comments: