Sunday, September 08, 2019

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Aug 15th
  • Four StarfishAquaman #39 - I almost feel sorry for Harley. Almost. The interaction between Murk and Aquaman was interesting. I wonder how it will continue to play out? And Mera... heavy hangs the head that wears the crown.
  • Half StarfishJustice League #6 - Nope. Still no interest.
  • Two StarfishGreen Lanterns #53 - Why is Baz's ring lying to him? Do I really care?
  • Two StarfishTeen Titans Go #29 - I think Cyborg summed it up best at the end of the comic - stuck in a comic book based on a tv show talking about a movie? Too meta.
  • Four StarfishArchie Meets Batman '66 #2 - This continues to be much better than I expected, although splitting the team is a strange tactic for Batman at this stage in the story. No surprise that Reggie was recruited by villains, though. The number and combination of baddies in Riverdale is a hoot.
  • Two and a half StarfishDoctor Strange #4 - About time someone told Strange off. Now, I hope the fellow tells him off some more, but I suspect we're going to have to put up with more arrogance before the final fall.
  • Four and a half StarfishUsagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #5 - I absolutely adore the Inspector Ishida stories, and this one has been a treat and a half because of the real history it brings into the story. The big reveal of this issue is what the artifact is - a Bible. But not just any Bible. I'm really curious now if there was a Japanese translation of the Bible back then. Also, extra fun, there's a mention of Inspector Ishida appearing in the June 13, 2018 Dick Tracy comic strip. Yes, I found it. Yes, it's great (see below).

  • Aug 22nd
  • Three StarfishBatman Beyond #23 - Huh. The previous issue made it obvious who the Scarecrow is, but then this issue acts like it was a mystery. It was... ok. But I don't feel like the plot moved forward much, if at all.
  • Three and a half StarfishScooby-Doo Team-Up #41 - I was never much a fan of Penelope Pitstop. I watched some Wacky Races, but she never appealed to me. Still, this was a cute issue with a couple of fun unmaskings - not to mention a villain who messes himself up. Always a fun book.
  • Four and a half StarfishBeasts of Burden: Wise Dogs and Eldritch Men #1 - I miss Jill Thompson's work, but Benjamin Dewey is no slouch on the art. This is a fascinating start, with some interesting implications about the wise animals. I'm really looking forward to the next issue.

  • Aug 29th
  • Four StarfishCatwoman/Tweety and Sylvester Special #1 - I only have one minor nit with this. Klarion is a Lord of Chaos, and his efforts to stop the scheme would have naturally resulted in more chaos, rather than a simple party. Otherwise, most excellent main story and fun little back-up. It's actually kind of terrifying to find out how many DC characters are bird- or cat-based.

  • Sep 5th
  • Half StarfishJustice League #7 - Really? Ok, just tell me when this thing is over.
  • One and a half StarfishGreen Lanterns #54 - Man, those rings are really insecure if THAT guy can hack into them. In fact, for the most powerful weapon in the universe, they are pretty much useless if any old idiot can take them over.

0 comments: