Sunday, September 15, 2019

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Sep 12th
  • Three StarfishPlastic Man #4 - I'm pretty confused by this book, but I'm still enjoying it. How is that possible? The Aquaman hot dogs made me laugh out loud... I suppose it's the quality of the jokes despite the story being a bit opaque.
  • Four and a half StarfishSuicide Squad #46 - Yay, villains with morals taking on nasty bad guys! Mera asserting her authority! King Shark making jokes about eating crocodile! And I haven't even mentioned Harley Quinn's nonsense! Another solid issue in a goofy crossover.
  • Four StarfishScooby Apocalypse #29 - Did we just see Fred Jones become a big bad? This has set up quite a serious moral dilemma for Daphne. Still not my childhood Scooby, but still an interesting Elseworlds version of it.
  • Four and a half StarfishThe Wrong Earth #1 - I rarely complain that a comic book has too much content, but this comic book has too much content! A main story, a back-up, a letter column, two creator Q&As, a short story by Grant Morrison, and even a one-pager comic. And all of it good. The main story's high concept - of a superhero from an Adam West Batman type world changing places with his counterpart from a much darker world - is fantastic, and nicely realized. I'm looking forward to reading more.
  • Three StarfishArchie 1941 #1 - Huh. Pretty much all set-up, and really depressing set-up at that. Good art, but man, this was a bummer to read.
  • Three and a half StarfishSpongeBob Comics #84 - Not much to say on this one. Typical issue, overall. I really liked the Ocean Facts piece on barnacles, because, while I knew what barnacles are intellectually, seeing the imagery with the simple description helped me actually understand what they are. It's always good to learn new stuff.
  • Three and a half StarfishMystery Science Theater 3000 #1 - I'm not a huge MST3K fan, and so I was somewhat unfamiliar with the cast of this issue - but at least I know who Tom Servo is and found his role in this to be hilarious. Moving the snark from movies to comics is a fun idea, but I'm not sure they'll be able to sustain the momentum for a full six issues. I guess I'll have to read and see.

  • Sep 19th
  • Four and a half StarfishAquaman #40 - Harley is just so good in this. Ridiculous and yet compassionate when she has to be. Cruel but silly. No wonder she's become so popular. As for the rest... poor Carl. And Waller is just the woman she's supposed to be. I like the conversation at the end between the two "queens". Ha. Good stuff.
  • One StarfishJustice League #8 - Still completely crap, but there's some nice Black Manta characterization, so it wasn't a complete waste.
  • One StarfishGreen Lanterns #55 - Nope. I just... no. I don't buy it on any level. Not impressed.
  • Three and a half StarfishTeen Titans Go #30 - Note to self: never play word games with Raven. This was a fun issue with two amusing stories, including one about going to great lengths to make a vegan burrito. A good issue.
  • Three StarfishDoctor Strange #5 - Huh. So now we know who the narrator is, and everything about the stupid use of language makes more sense. Still not feeling it, much, but it's an interesting twist I honestly didn't see coming.
  • Five StarfishUsagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #6 - This is just excellent. So tightly plotted, such an interesting plot, bits of history woven into the tale. It's fantastic. I finished this issue and nearly dove into my stack to read the next (and final) issue right away. Usagi Yojimbo is consistently the best comic book available. This storyline is no exception.

0 comments: