Friday, April 23, 2021

Pixel 4a, first impressions

So, I've had the Pixel 4a for a bit over a day now... it's very nice. What can I say?

I like the size more than the Moto G6, which always felt just a tiny bit too large. The Pixel is just a tiny bit smaller with almost as much screen space.

The transfer process was easy - the Pixel came with a phone-to-phone cable even, and instructions on how to do it. Most of my data transferred and what didn't was easy to set up. So far.

The drive space on the Pixel is also very nice. My G6 had stopped finding the SD card, so I was down to 32GB, which sounds like a lot until you have a bunch of apps installed. The Pixel has 128GB, and so far all my apps are running around happy with all the new space.

The camera on the Pixel is amazing. It can see in the dark. I haven't played around with it as much as I want to, but I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Best of all, for me, is that I can still use the G6 as a little tablet in my room, allowing me to connect to the wifi and do some basic things - like have a way to watch my own stream on a different device, or play tv shows and music in the background while I do stuff on my computer or regular phone. I don't play to sell or give away the G6 because it has become very unreliable, turning itself off randomly. But it'll serve as a mini-tablet for non-critical stuff.

As usual, Ting came through for me when I had trouble automatically transferring my number to the new phone. Literally a couple of minutes in online chat and I was set up. The text messages... let's just say Google has some settings I had to turn off in the old phone before my new one could receive text messages - which was really odd. But once those chat settings were off, everything worked.

Now, ask me again in a couple of months, and we'll see if I'm still happy with it.

0 comments: