Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Rapid Reviews - 26 Feb 2003 - Part I


Birds of Prey: Feat of Clay: The first appearance of Clayface on the show, and a different take than I've seen before. Not bad. Unfortunately, pieces of the plot kept telegraphing themselves, making it less exciting than it should have been. Overall, not too bad. 3 starfish

Birds of Prey: Devil's Eyes: Harley almost came out in this episode. It was almost as good as it could have been. In fact, lots of this show was "almost" (though some of it was just yuck, too). So, this one gets a low rating... 2 1/2 starfish

Birds of Prey The TV Series: I wanted to actually see the birds themselves. The twisting of the concept made it much less than what the comic was. And I never got used to the "half-metahuman" crap. You're either meta or you're not. There were good ideas, good characters. Oracle was wonderful, as was Alfred. Gipson was an interesting addition as the guy who remembered everything. But it never came together. 2 starfish

Smallville: Rosetta: It was time. It was just time, I knew it was coming in the next few episodes, and I'm glad it came in this one. Clark learns the truth, or part of it anyway. This episode cranked the whole series up a bit, and I'm enjoying this show immensely. The musical cues from the John Williams Superman score were just perfect. This is the first episode of Smallville that referenced the Superman legend that I really liked, as it was no longer just Smallville, it was Superman... ok, I can't explain it. But I liked it. 4 starfish

By the way, if you are financially able and willing, please visit http://www.christopherreeve.org/ and support Reeve's efforts to end paralysis. Also visit the Ledger and Torch for more thoughts on the episode. Don't forget to visit the Classifieds for a Pokemon inside joke.

Comics coming today: Usagi Yojimbo, Gotham Adventures, Supergirl, Green Arrow, JLA, JLA/Spectre, Titans, Amazing Spider-Man, Ruse, Previews, and possibly the Animated Justice League Aquaman Maquette, we'll see when I get to the shop tonight.

0 comments: