Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Are You A Patriot?


For those people who insist that the Patriot Act changed nothing about the way the police can work, please read this article about the Patriot Act in action. Link from This Modern World.

I also recommend this article about the current President's lies. Clinton lied about his sex life and got impeached, Bush lied about our reasons for attacking a sovereign country and is a hero. This is a strange country we live in. Link from The Johnny Barcardi Show.

And, if that's not enough, check out this blog about the great desert snipe hunt. This is a very long article, and it's a bit of a masterpiece. Give yourself some time before sitting down to go through it. Link courtesy of Unqualified Offerings.

Usually I can succeed at debates because I understand the other side's viewpoint. By knowing why they are arguing the way they are arguing, I can explain my opinion to them in a way they will understand. Even if I don't win the debate, at least both sides leave the issue better enlightened. But I simply don't understand the Bush-supporters. I cannot get into their heads. How on Earth can anyone support a president who has taken away our rights enough that a restaurant can be raided BY MISTAKE because of the genetic heritage of the owners, and who started a war on false pretenses against the wishes of virtually the entire world, not to mention a large portion of his own country's population? How can people support a president who applauds and apparently agrees with a senator who believes that we have no right to privacy? Someone is living in a fantasy world, and I really hope it's me. I'd much rather live in the sweet and pretty world that Bush-supporters seem to think we are in than the terrifying reality that I see around me.

0 comments: