Thursday, May 29, 2003

It's a Comic Book World


The big comic book story on the 'net today is Fantagraphics is in trouble. Not having any money, I can't buy anything to help support them, but if you do have some cash, here are some suggestions. Usagi Yojimbo, Scary Godmother, Little Lit. Look in their all-ages comics and classic comics sections. To be honest, I can't recommend much of my other stuff, it's just not my style, but they do have some great books there. And it would be a shame if Fantagraphics vanished, no matter how you feel about them.

More Fund Comics. What an interesting name. Hmmmm, I wonder where they got that from? In any case, I think I want this book. Stan Sakai alone is enough to make me want it, but we're talking at least 128 pages for $10. Yeah, this one might be worth checking out.

You want propoganda? Here's another article on Micah Wright's propaganda remix project. I particularly like this warning: "Wright is an unabashed liberal who makes the Dixie Chicks sound like Ronald Reagan." Yup, he's still at it. But is it art?

Draw Your Own Monsters Funbook by Laura Dunham. Why would I link to this? Well, it's not by me, but I spent the first 22 years of my life with that name. So when my little sister Lisa stumbled over this in a shop, she picked it up for me. So that I would have a book by Laura Dunham in my collection. (To bring this back to comic books, Laura Dunham was also a character in the Marvel universe who dated Rich Rider, Nova, for awhile).

New comics came out today, and everything Eric and I ordered showed. So I'll be doing reviews as soon as I get around to it, which will be after I've read the books, which will happen as soon as I get around to it. I might also post something about Previews and Wizard Magazine, which also came. Depends on how chatty I feel after tackling the blackberries and ivy today.

Oh yeah, countdown to stay at Pug House Of Horror: two days.

0 comments: