Friday, May 09, 2003

A Little Close To Home


On Wednesday I went to work a bit late, after picking up comics. It was sometime between 1 and 1:30 in the afternoon when I pulled off of Lake City Way and headed up the hill on Northgate. Coming around a bend I saw a police car and an ambulance in the other lane. There were no other vehicles. The ambulance was being loaded by grim-faced paramedics, and there were a number of people standing talking with the police. Everyone looked angry. I wasn't sure what to think.

Yesterday I saw this article in the newspaper and understood. It was a hit and run. An 84 year old man had been pulling weeds from the sidewalk when a truck jumped the curb and hit him. When I drove by today I looked closely at the place. The elderly gentleman had been half-done with his task.

What kind of creature would drive up onto a curb to hit someone then drive away? What kind of scum could care so little about the life of a fellow human that he would do such a thing?

We may find out. Tips led to the arrest of the probable hit & run driver. The elderly gentleman is in serious condition but recovering. My faith in humanity isn't recovering nearly as fast.

0 comments: