Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Rapid Reviews - Free Comic Book Day 2003 - Part V


Archie #1: Leave it to Archie Comics to provide a solid free book that pokes gentle fun at their own books while at the same time introducing all the major players. For sheer value of introduction, this is probably the best book of the bunch. Story and art are about Archie average... which is slightly better than the norm. Overall, a good contribution to FCBD. 4 starfish This book is for All-Ages.

Landis #0: Hmmm, it's like Highlander with a quest. I'm not sure about this one. The art's ok, but the story seems a wee bit derivative. The second book advertised has quite an interesting theme, but might be a little gross. Not bad, but not for me, either. 3 starfish This book is for Older Readers (13+).

Keenspot Spotlight 2003: This has a wide variety of stories, most one page long. Some of them are much better than others. I'm extremely impressed at how well most of the artists managed to convey the feel of their strips in only one page. I don't know that I'll be racing over to Keenspot to check out their strips/books, but it was a decent sampler. 3 1/2 starfish This book is for Adults (18+).

Whew. Into the final stretch. 16 down, three to go. Again, I got these free comic books on Free Comic Book Day 2003 from my local retailer Corner Comics. Thanks again, Paige!

0 comments: