Saturday, October 04, 2003

Sketchbook - Jeff Matsuda

Another early sketch, Jeff Matsuda looked at me in sheer disbelief when I asked him to draw Aquaman. "He's too hard!" he sputtered, and I quickly said that no, no, another character would be fine. Perhaps he saw my disappointment. Perhaps it was the challenge. For whatever reason, he decided to give Aquaman himself a shot, and drew him in his own inimitable way. This quickly became one of my favorites, and has remained so because it's both Aquaman and very much a Matsuda character. It's become even more valuable to me since the debut of Jackie Chan Adventures, with Matsuda character designs with whom I could compare my Aquaman.


AQUAMAN
by Jeff Matsuda
19 September 1999
(permission to post given 31 August 2003 via e-mail)
www.jeffmatsuda.com

This is a very light drawing. It's on page seven of my first sketchbook, right after Matt Haley's notorious Batman.

To see all the sketches I have permission to post so far, check out my Sketchbook Page. If you have any contact information for any of the other artists I'm trying to contact, please e-mail me. Click for a random Aquaman sketch.

0 comments: