Friday, January 30, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 28 January 2004 - Part I

Just a note: It's really cool for me to see a two page spread advertising Aquaman #15 in Comic Shop News. I mean, two pages! DC is really pushing the book this time. I just hope Will and Pat live up to the hype. I know the cover artists do, but then I've seen their efforts...

Smallville: Delete [3-11]: Oooh, wow. That was an intense episode, with everyone trying to kill Chloe. And I kept "calling" what was going to happen next. There was a little bit of telegraphing of future events, but the events were all so good it didn't hurt the episode. And Lois Lane is mentioned... 4 starfish

Powers #36: No ads, and the story goes from the first page all the way to the back cover. And what a story! After the last issue, you get the impression that Christian wants to get rid of his powers... but I'm sure he wasn't planning what actually happened. Nice. Very nice. 4 starfish

PS238 #5: No way, I thought, can this series continue to keep me completely satisfied. There is no way this series, which has been consistently wonderful from day one, can continue to impress me as much as it did. No way. Yes way. If it's possible to like this series even more than I did before, then I like it more than I did before. The ending alone, a touch of adult pain, was enough to make the whole rest of the book which was funny and even cute, into something terribly powerful. This book is coming very close to an impossible five starfish from me. You know, I liked it so much I'm going to go read it a third time. 4 1/2 starfish

And on a final note, PS238 is being collected, so you can get the first five issues along with the zero issue in trade form. I plan on buying at least one, probably more, as this will make a GREAT gift for some young (and not so young) reader friends of mine. If you prefer trades, this will be the perfect way to check this series out.

Still to review: Green Lantern, JLA, Wonder Woman, Hawkman, Amazing Spider-Dude, and Wildguard.

0 comments: