Sunday, May 16, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 12 May 2004 - Part III

H-E-R-O #16: Is Robby insane, or is he on to something? This is one gruesome book at the moment. What happens when a truly sick person gets his hands on the H-E-R-O device? We're finding out. Between his work on Aquaman and this book, I'm beginning to think I've found a new favorite comic book writer. 4 starfish

Fallen Angel #11: The final issue of this story arc starts out oddly, and builds into something even more odd. As usual, I'm not sure why I'm liking this book, but I do. I'm deeply intrigued by it, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing in it. Then again, a full-scale (spoiler)(end spoiler) like that made the story worth it. 3 1/2 starfish

Evening Shift: The opening made me laugh. I had a friend who programs computers who couldn't spell "programmer" if his life depended on it, so he called himself a "coder". Anyway, this is a pretty strong story. It's almost a 'slice of life' tale, but a little more serious than that. After I finished I sat back and said "wow", which I guess means I was impressed. It also holds up well to a second reading. The artwork doesn't flow well, but it fits the story. This is not a superhero book, and the art is not slick and overdone, but it's not sketchy, either. There are samples at the website. This one is worth a look. 3 1/2 starfish

Coming this Wednesday (according to the lastest shipping list): Seaguy, Outsiders, Amazing Spider-Man Demo, Batman Adventures, and Another Nail.