Friday, November 05, 2004

Rapid Reviews - 3 November 2004 - Part II

Avengers #88/503: Um. Ok. I don't really get that last bit with the completely different artwork, but for a reboot I guess it wasn't entirely awful. I'm thinking that the opinions of actual Marvel fans ought to matter much more on this one, though. For me, it was just "eh." 3 starfish

Marvel Age Fantastic Four #8: Hey, that was pretty good! The introduction of a new villain and a new friend, the first time Ben gets sort of back to normal, and it all holds together well. The art is solid, the story is fun... this one is recommended. 4 starfish

Captain America & The Falcon #9: I wish I could follow this, but there's too much going on. I suspect part of it is the annoying crossover thing with the Avengers reboot, but there's also those missing three issues between the trade and the last issue, the three issues I couldn't find. Well, my friend David said that I couldn't understand how important this book was to him. It was, I think he said, like Batman without Robin or Superman without Lois Lane... to have Cap without the Falcon. Well, as long as David wants to read it, I'll get it for him and read it myself. Mildly recommended. 3 1/2 starfish

Thieves & Kings #45: Wow. The last issue came out in May. And I've completely forgotten what happened in it, except that I enjoyed it. This issue wasn't bad... there's a major revelation for a major character. I think I need to dig out all the issues of this and try reading it from the start. In the meantime, this issue gets a mild recommendation. 3 1/2 starfish

Ant #4: Huh. That's not the ending I was expecting, but it does explain the language Hanna uses earlier in the story. She isn't what she seems. Overall, not bad. Again, the art is too bad-girl for my tastes, and is weak in spots. But the story is fairly compelling, and it was a decent little mini-series. 3 1/2 starfish

Still to review: Rising Stars, JLA: Classified, Fallen Angel, Firebirds, and Justice League Unlimited.

And as an extra public service announcement... there's only 50 days until Christmas.

0 comments: