Thursday, January 06, 2005

Rapid Reviews - 5 January 2005

New Avengers #2: "Breakout!" Part Two: This is just another set-up issue, really. But it's beginning to come together into a new origin story. I like the heroes involved, and I like what's being done so far. Not bad. Maybe not quite the Avengers, but not bad. You want an alternate opinion, read the letter column... ho boy! 3 1/2 starfish

Noble Causes #6: Another strong issue of a strong book. There is a slight discordance in this series due to the fact that Liz came from another universe (in which Race) died to be part of this one. That gets a little hearing in this issue. We also finally find out what's wrong with Doc... it was similar to what I guessed but not quite exactly what I expected. And there's even a Wizard of Oz reference to make hubby happy. Recommended. 4 starfish

Justice League Unlimited #5: "Monitor Duty": Ah yes, Blue Beetle. This story does a good job of covering his strengths, in particular his problem-solving skills. And the bit with him trying on other heroes' outfits was hilarious... did he try on Wonder Woman's? My one nit would be about the staffing of the watchtower. In the show, there are tons of people there all the time, including non-powered folks. It doesn't seem likely to me that it would be as deserted as seen in this issue. But that was a minor nit, and this was a fun little tale. 3 1/2 starfish

Girl Genius: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine: Oh this book is GORGEOUS. I got the hardcover, of course. I'll get it autographed at some future con. I see the Foglios more often than I see my parents. The story in this one deals with everyone finding out who Agatha is, and her escape from them once that happens. This is a wonderful series, and this collection has two extra pages that weren't in the individual issues, as well. Of course, it's missing the secret codes in the back... but I'll live. Highly recommended. 4 1/2 starfish

Well. That wasn't very many books. How about some from next week, pulled from the retailer Preview Package?

JSA #69: "Guardian Angels": I'm not a big booster of the JSA, since I have such problems following the huge cast. But this was a pretty nice little issue, following the adventures of some of the members of the JSA in the past. Courtney's story in particular is a good read. It should be, since it's the focus story (if there is one). Not bad... still not fantastic, but not bad. 3 1/2 starfish

JLA #110: "36 Hours: The Calm Before": Ultraman doesn't handle being Superman very well, does he? I find Owlman's hang-ups to be much more interesting, though. I still don't quite understand what they are looking for, or why, but I'm guessing that once this story is done and I reread it, I will enjoy it much more. 3 1/2 starfish

Green Arrow #46: "Teamwork": The artwork was all wrong. Everyone's smiles looked forced... like a grimace. And the faces didn't look right to me. I suppose that's what happens when you get "hot new pencils" on a book. Still, these will take some getting used to. As for the rest of the story... there doesn't seem to be one, really. Mia joins the Titans. Whoopee. Not much to it. Ok, ok, I'm being harsh. For a slice-of-life story, this wasn't too bad. Seeing Mia in action was fun, too. I was just expecting more. 3 1/2 starfish

Coming tonight, my monthly Flipping Through Previews post. I'm almost done writing it, so I think I can safely say I'll post it tonight.

0 comments: