Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Review Copy Reviews

Mad Hatter Comics

The Last War: According to the introduction: The Last War is based on the great Indian epic "Mahabharata" which is perhaps the longest mythological narrative ever written by man. It is the story of the war between the Pandavas and the Kauravas but it is much more than that; the Mahabharata is an ocean of knowledge and poetic genius and is full of wonders, horrors, and insights.

This adaptation is set in the distant future, and apparently on a planet picked as a battlefield. This issue serves as the introduction to the story, and while it tries, in my opinion it doesn't change the story enough. The warriors use spaceships to get to their chosen planet, but then strap on swords and ride elephants? C'mon, couldn't you get a little more creative? I mean, pick your setting. Either the technology has advanced or it hasn't. Strapping on swords for this kind of battle makes it seem more like a game than a war. When you add in the archaic speech... well, this could've been better done. I don't think I'll be getting the series. 2 starfish

Boom! Studios

What Were They Thinking?! Some People Never Learn: I really, honestly, don't have any idea what to say about this book. I mean, you either are amused by the new words for the old artwork... or you aren't. But there's something really special about a book that strikes a McBlow for McLiberty. It's fun. It borders on hilarious at times. But then, how could it not be? 3 starfish

AiT/Planet Lar

Channel Zero: I read Channel Zero: Jennie One and didn't really get it. It is the prequel to this book, which came out first. And, now that I've read this, I kind of wish I still had my copy of Jennie One to reread (I passed it on to somebody else, which is what I try to do with all review books I get). This book is much more dense and powerful, as the government problems are already in place. Frighteningly, the change itself wasn't as interesting to me as the results shown in this book. It was written nearly a decade ago, but you look at it and see what the neocons want to make America into. This is a powerful work. Scary, scattered, and entirely too true for comfort. Wow.

I could go into great detail about what you need to look for as you read this book, how the information overload is on every page just like it's hitting us in the real world. And how the fake-ness of it all is exposed by the stark artwork and contrasting characters. But I can't really do justice to it. This book is a poem in comic book form. You can't really describe a poem and have your description do it justice. This is the same sort of thing. This is a book that is meant to be experienced. So, turn off your TV and go experience it already. 4 starfish

0 comments: