Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Ripples Through Time - 156

I'm reading every Aquaman solo adventure in publication order. After I read each story I will post the cover/splash page and a few thoughts on the story.

Adventure #233 Aquaman Splash Page
Adventure #233 (February 1957) - The Sea Clown

Wackyman uses mechanical fish to duplicate Aquaman's feats in his comedy act.

Glove Color: Yellow.

Regular Supporting Cast: Topo.

Finny Friends Report: Aquaman rides Topo throughout the story. A signal fish sends a special signal. Swordfish, eels, and a whale pretend to attack Aquaman. Topo disarms the crooks.

Quotefile: Wackyman, "*gulp* I--I never dreamed that my mechanical fish would someday be used for crime!"

I am not a big clown fan, thus I'm a bit creeped out by the character. Worse, this is only the first of TWO clown stories this year. Wackyman dresses exactly like Aquaman, except he has clown makeup on his face, a bald cap, and a big red nose. At the very end of the story he removes the fake nose.

Wackyman's comedy act includes dancing on an octopus, riding a swordfish that hits a target (and falling off the swordfish), writing his name with electric eels, and sitting on a whale's spout. The replica fish are good enough that Aquaman can't tell them from the real thing while they are in action.

Aquaman isn't a big clown fan either. At the end of the story he asks Wackyman to tone down the act.

Have you read this story? What do you think?

0 comments: