Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Sunday Review

TV this week:

  • Who Do You Think You Are?: "Kim Cattrall" - I like how this one has a very specific goal in place from the beginning of the episode. Kim hunts down her missing grandfather and learns some really nasty stuff about him. It was an edited version of the British episode, and I almost want to see the original now.
  • Who Do You Think You Are?: "Lionel Richie" - Lionel goes hunting for his great-grandfather to start. He gets a sort of whiplash when he learns the details about him. And goes well back in history with him. It was amazing when they pulled out the picture of the slave-owner and the family resemblance was so clear.

  • Young Justice: "Downtime" - SQUEEEEE!!!!! WHEEEEEE!!!! YES!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!!!!! MORE!!!!!!! SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!! Ahem. I really really enjoyed this episode. We not only get to see lots of Aquaman and Aqualad, we also get to see Atlantis and Mera and Garth and Tula and Topo (not the octopus) and ... SQUEEEEE!!!!! BOUNCE!!! WHEEE!!!! YAY!!!!!!! SQUEEE!!!!!!

  • Being Human: "Daddy Ghoul" - While Mitch continues to face the past, George has some past to face himself. There's still humor in there, in fact quite a bit, but there are some very brutal bits. Again I like Nina in this episode. But I'm thinking we're getting close to the finale of this arc.



DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • December 22nd
  • Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special #1 - This is remarkably silly. Almost beyond silly. I loved it.
  • Green Lantern Corps #55 - Strangest reinforcements ever.
  • Justice League of America #52 - Um. Losing interest in this whole story rapidly. No Aqua-characters.
  • Power Girl #19 - Y'know, if I didn't know about the whole plotline with Max Lord, this book would make no sense. Even with that knowledge, it still seems a little... off. Oh well.
  • Zatanna #8 - I would say that's a strange phobia, but the story manages to make it make perfect sense.
  • DC Universe Legacies #8 - Ah, the reign of the Supermen, Azrael, and Parallax. And a strange little start to a back-up story with the new gods. Fun issue, and even a tiny bit of Aquaman.
  • Age of Bronze #31 - Ah, that's how he's getting some of the mythical creatures into this solidly realistic story. Very nicely done.
  • Royal Historian of Oz #3 - Frank really doesn't fit in over in Oz. Not sure I like the portrayal of some of the characters, but it *is* from Frank's point of view. The hunt was great.
  • Usagi Yojimbo #134 - Kitsune is a dangerous character, but a really fun one. Enjoyed this issue.



My library book this week was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I've been hearing about this book for awhile, and I've read the Gregor the Overlander series and enjoyed it. This is the first in a trilogy about a future world where a central Capitol controls the outlying districts through fear and a yearly sacrifice of two children. I found this a gripping story with strong characters, that moved along at a good pace. I quickly started to identify with the main character, and her family. And while I saw some plot points coming from a mile away, other twists happened with enough force to be shocking. Immediately after finishing it, I wanted the next book, which I will get as soon as possible. I can certainly see why the series is so popular.



1 comments:

Eric TF Bat said...

I saw that Young Justice episode and went straight to your blog, hoping you'd be reviewing it. I'm glad you liked it. Topo was a real hoot, wasn't he!