Sunday, December 08, 2013

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Oct 9th
  • Green Lantern Corps #24 - It's the end of the world! But I'm still not feeling all that much interest.
  • World's Finest #16 - A new plotline, and not a half-bad start. Good mystery, interesting foe, and the added excitement of Power Girl's power problems.
  • Smallville Season 11 #18 - I want to see more Wonder Woman, and it looks like that is about to happen.
  • Astro City #5 - As usual, one of the finest books on the shelf, even if this issue is terribly frustrating due to the framing sequence and his interruptions. Still, I was wondering when he'd return and what his story is about. As a result, a bunch of new characters and their stories. I love this book.
  • Hoax Hunters #11 - Well, I used to like this book. But now the art is weak and the colors are dark and murky. It's nearly impossible to tell what's going on. Unless the art improves quickly, it's time to dump this one.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz #3 - This isn't that bad a story, but the art is weak, to say the least. The pin-up style just isn't suited to telling the tale.
  • Spongebob Comics #25 - A little bit of Mermaid Man, including SpongeBob dressed up as his favorite superhero. I kind of enjoyed the Flying Dutchman story. Brains matter.
  • Three #1 - Wow. That's a different sort of start. Are we supposed to hate one of the main characters? Still... there's a bit of Spartan history I'm betting most of the population doesn't have a clue about. Yeah, being Spartan wasn't quite as bad IF you were one of the masters. Not so good if you aren't.



My library book this week was Dandelion Fire by N. D. Wilson. The cupboards aren't through with Henry York, and a journey of discovery results in big changes to everything and everyone involved. This one starts off pretty strong and continues to be good, although at times I got impatient to see what was happening with other characters when the focus stayed on one for too long. I did notice that a door was left open, to coin a phrase, for another book. I was a little curious about where the cast members ended up at the end of the book as well... the third book will hopefully clear that up for the readers. Overall, pretty darn good rollicking read.



My mystery book this week was The Alpine Legacy by Mary Daheim. Emma deals with a serious critic and finds out what some people in town really think about her. Having also dealt with a "critic" that put out a competing "newspaper" with personal attacks against our paper, this book kind of hit home for me. Yeah, I'm very familiar with that sort of criticism and what it feels like. And I could have told Emma not to bother trying to sort out the problems face-to-face. That sort of person doesn't respond to logic and will always bring out the worst in someone. The mystery was nicely convoluted, with enough suspects and possibilities that I didn't quite figure it out until I was just about the read the final explanation. The religious side was slightly grating, but I suppose I understand where Emma is coming from and how she stands, even if I don't agree with her opinions on everything. And so, on to "M"! If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.



0 comments: