Saturday, May 10, 2014

Imagine well-lit streets that never freeze...

A guy has invented a paving system that uses hexagonal solar panels. In addition to supplying power, the system also lights the roadway, cleans storm water, has conduits for cables and has built-in heaters that prevent the road from freezing or being covered with snow. And more.

It's a fantastic idea with a working prototype, but this article says that the IndieGoGo campaign needs to raise $1,000,000 by the end of May, which I just don't see happening.


I still want it to happen, though. And I love the idea of a road that can communicate when it has a problem, or when somebody steals a section of it:
Even if someone were able to pull a panel out of the road and load it on a truck, the stolen panel would continue communicating with all of the other panels in the road. The road would know exactly where it was and how fast it was moving, making the criminal a sitting duck for law enforcement.
I want a road that tells me if somebody steals it!

*ahem* I can't exactly recommend contributing, but I certainly want to support this idea. So I'm doing what a writer does best. I think the more people that know about this, the more likely it is to eventually come to fruition.

What do YOU think?

0 comments: