Sunday, August 03, 2014

A Sunday Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Jun 25th
  • Aquaman #32 - Mera and Tula make a good team. I'm not sure about the new Chimera, but we'll see how it goes. Aquaman has had issues with controlling sea life in the past, but I'm not sure which of those are still in continuity.
  • Justice League #31 - Jessica Cruz has some interesting issues, but that Power Ring has even more. Not enough Aquaman.
  • Sinestro #3 - I still like Soranik way more than just about any character in all the Lantern books, and that's the saving grace of this issue. Enough of her to make it just worth reading.
  • Secret Origins #3 - Green Lantern, Batwoman and Red Robin. None of them really interested me, but none of the stories are horrible. Just not what I would usually read.
  • Batman Beyond Universe #11 - Wow. An awful lot happened in this issue, including an unexpected death. It certainly feels like this storyline is beginning to wrap up.
  • Batman '66 #12 - A couple of villains I'd never heard of but some clever twists (like the older uniforms) that worked out to be pretty awesome in the end. Good stuff.
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #6 - Was that a happy ending? It sure didn't feel much like a happy ending to me. Yikes.



My comic book related book this week is 47 Ronin by Mike Richardson and Stan Sakai. I've been looking forward to this book for some time. I didn't buy the individual issues because I wanted to wait for a nice hardcover collected edition, and that is exactly what I got. The story is a classic, but I think I've only read incredibly overblown versions of the story. This one is not only down-to-earth, it's actually plausible. I already love Sakai's artwork, so reading this tale with that comforting art was just great. There is maybe one or two spots in the story where it wasn't a smooth read, but overall it's a solid tale that works on every level. The rough spots, it seemed to me, might have been due to the serial nature of the original publication. I enjoyed this book for its history and artwork. Definitely a piece that graces any library it's in.



My mystery book this week was The Alpine Xanadu by Mary Daheim. A mental health center is opening in Alpine, but some of the staff are a little hostile. This one almost brings out too many coincidences to work. The real appeal is the relationship between Milo and Emma and how it's continuing to develop. Not my favorite, but still a good one. If you want to start the Alpine series, I strongly recommend starting at the first book, The Alpine Advocate.



0 comments: