Sunday, May 07, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Sep 7th
  • Aquaman #6 - Molwark? I suddenly have an urge to put together a list of Atlantean words we've seen in the comic books. That's potentially a really good one to use on people to confuse them. Ahem. This issue was basically Aquaman and Superman battling while chatting about Aquaman's role in the DC Universe. Oh, there were a few pages of Manta being Manta, but otherwise it was mostly a big ol' fight scene. I love when Mera punches Superman and the idiot chief of staff is surprised. "Girl's got game!" Heh. I like this Major Shurman. First she questions the idiot in the last issue, now she approves of Mera's punch. Nice. I like that Aquaman ended the war that was about to start with just a few words, proving his power. What I don't like is Superman threatening him - that really just proves Aquaman's point. Arthur is NOT trusted by the Justice League. And that, frankly, sucks. This was a nice solid issue, despite being one big fight scene.
  • Justice League #4 - It's kind of hard to figure out what is happening, but there appears to be more than one threat, and the league is taking care of one of them so another one can do its thing. Aquaman's connection to ancient Atlantean crystals seems to be a good thing, as is Superman's ability to figure out how to deal with threats without simply punching them. But I'm most confused by Cyborg's role in this, and what on earth - or rather off earth - happened to cause the cliffhanger.
  • Batman Beyond #16 - A sort of sad finale to this era of Batman Beyond, started in an annoying crossover and finished with an almost paradox. I was just waiting for someone to beat the crap out of Spellbinder, who has been consistently irritating since the beginning of this storyline. Terry's slow realization was nice - as was Tim's utter acceptance of what had happened to him. Not at all a bad way to finish up this version of Batman... now on to the Rebirth.
  • Doctor Strange #11 - So, magic is slowly coming back after being nearly completely wiped out, but even Strange is having difficulty with things he would have beaten with barely a thought before. And it all ends with an old friend showing up. What has he been up to, and was he affected by the attack on magic? Lots to explore in this book.
  • Doctor Who 9th #5 - I find it absolutely hilarious that the Doctor is meeting Martha - only will not know it for a long time, if ever, thanks to the situation. The last two pages, especially the "sometime in the 1970s. Or maybe '80s." made me giggle happily. Lots of promise for the future there, in the past.
  • Sep 14th
  • Green Lanterns #6 - I like seeing Jessica fight through her anxiety. It gives me a little hope, somehow. That said, there wasn't a lot more in this issue for me. Oh, I thought it was funny that the cat succeeded where everyone else failed (whether they know it or not) and I liked seeing Jessica and Simon getting along for once. The teddy bear's story was fun, as well. And Bleez's story. And the new type of ring... and - you know what? This was a better issue than I first thought. Never mind my negativism. Let's just see where it goes from here, now.
  • Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #4 - So Guy got captured. That wasn't exactly clear in the last issue. Sinestro's reaction to naked Guy was pretty funny, I gotta admit. As for Hal - what the heck did Soranik do to him? Still confusing and annoying and not my favorite book by a long shot, but at least something happened in this issue.
  • Earth 2 Society #16 - And, finally, the obvious solution is presented. I kind of figured that particular gun on the wall would be used by the end of the series - so here it is. I just wonder (no pun intended) what sort of world will emerge from the other side?
  • DC Comics Bombshells #17 - Ok, there's a level of "eeeuww" in that masquerade I can't quite get over. At least Raven was able to overcome, with a little help. The whole thing was a tiny bit anti-climatic - but in a good way. Needed more Mera... obviously, since she wasn't in this one at all.
  • Batman '66 Meets Steed and Mrs Peel #3 - The Avengers in the Batcave, which is being attacked by a horde of Cybernauts! Plenty of plot movement in this one, and I love reading this and hearing the voices of the actors in my mind. I admit that Emma's solution to the African bee problem is a little... odd, but it was funny nonetheless. A delightful series.
  • Astro City #38 - More of the history of early Astro City, with the appearance of Jazzbaby, who has a secret identity and more of a story we can follow. Her strength is music, and even a tiny bit of music in a horrible void was enough for her to break free from it, which is interesting. And she had Cakewalk's memories, which suggests some serious continuity throughout the years. This isn't a fantastic as the previous issue, but it's still pretty good. I'd like to see this aspect of the city explored again.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #5 - Did we ever get the answer to what Velma pulled out of that dead body? This is an exciting bit of the story, as more monsters attack and the team figure out how to avoid getting crunched... on the fly. Daphne is getting irritating. Well, more irritating than usual. I still feel like I ought to hate this book while every issue makes me love it more. It's quite an incredible Elseworld version of Scooby-Doo.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #15 - Wait, THAT'S the villain? What?!? Ok, backing up... Spidey is back in the future, but it's not really his future because he's made changes in the past that have altered it. He's chasing Captain America, who isn't the same as the one from our time, of course. She (Cap) is looking for her husband. All told, it's not really a complicated plot, but it definitely comes across as complicated as it moves along. And the final page... ug. Really?
  • Doctor Who 3rd #1 - All the best bits of the Third Doctor's time - jam-packed into a single issue! But then, it is written by Paul Cornell, so how could it not be full of Doctor Who goodness? I can't really say too much about the plot - robots, crazy inventions to hold off said robots, Osgood (not that one) and a surprise visit at the end. All good stuff. I'm looking forward to the next issue.
  • Doctor Who 10th #2.14 - Those things on ancient Gallifrey - weren't they in the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip? Or is my fragile memory failing me? Lots to think about in this issue, and more than a little to worry about. I wonder where this plotline will lead? In the meantime, the problems with Anubis seem to be getting a touch worse. Nice cliffhanger.
  • Doctor Who Supremacy of the Cybermen #3 - This is so scattered and confusing I'm not sure where to start. Or end. I just wonder which plotline is going to be the most important in solving the crisis. And I guess I'm going to have to reread the whole story once it's all out, because otherwise it's going to be just too hard to follow.
  • Spongebob Comics #60 - Yay, Mermaid Man sighting! Ok, one panel in the throwaway joke, but still, enough to make me happy. The Paul Bunyan parallels were amusing and wonderfully silly in one story. We finally get to see Sandy again, which was cool. Overall, a fun little issue.

0 comments: