Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Sunday Comic Books Review

DCBS
Here are reviews of the DCBS comic books that I've gotten around to reading and reviewing, sorted by the original shipping date:
  • Dec 7th
  • Aquaman #12 - Things going from bad to worse... this is the kind of comic that just works because it's hard to imagine any good solution. And yet, we know because of the nature of the comic book business that it's going to work out somehow. It may not be perfect, because the comic book companies aren't resetting every storyline to status quo any more, but it's going to be ok somehow. Still... hard to see how with all the horrible things that fall on our hero in this issue.
  • Green Lanterns #12 - This issue didn't really move the plot along much. The Phantom Lantern tries to control himself while Jessica makes some points that Simon didn't think of... otherwise, not much going on in here.
  • Justice League #10 - It's even worse than I thought. Super-duper magic code wasn't even being used by sad husband, it was a mistake. I just about threw the book across the room in disgust. Sorry, no, this just doesn't work at all for me. I almost didn't bother finishing the book, the plot annoys me so much.
  • DC Comics Bombshells #20 - I really like this version of Vixen. That said, the ending of this issue with the robotic animals confused me. I'm not sure how they fit into the story. I may need to reread - too bad there's no Mera to make me want to reread.
  • Batman '66 Meets Steed and Mrs Peel #6 - Surprise twist ending! Well, it should have been a bit of a surprise. In any case, it was a good little ending and reading it so soon after the death of Adam West, I felt a lot of sad nostalgia at that very last page when he gets a reward. This was a fun book.
  • Wonder Woman '77 and Bionic Woman #1 - I watched both shows as a little girl, and yes, they were my heroes. That said, I remember very little about the Bionic Woman except the intro and the bionic sound effect. I was very amused to see the sound effect in the comic. I was also amused that Jamie recognized Diana so quickly. There's an implication there that the men just aren't looking closely. Ha. Fun start.
  • Spider-Man 2099 #18 - Oooh, a bad situation getting worse. But at least Tempest woke up. Miguel is already pretty messed up, now he's gotta fight tech geeks turned into zombies? I enjoyed this issue, looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
  • Dirk Gently: Salmon of Doubt #3 - If I hadn't seen the TV show, I'd be mystified by this issue. There are a ton of callbacks to the show and its characters - before the show started. I think I mentioned before that this book seems to be pulling the different versions of the character together in a holistic way... which is only natural. I'm just worried about Bernice now. I wouldn't want my cat to be in that situation.
  • Dec 14th
  • DC Rebirth Holiday Special #1 - Ah, reading a Christmas special on a hot and muggy day in June. Gotta love it. This is an anthology, and like all anthologies it was slightly uneven. The framing story was Harley Quinn throwing a big party - and that was fairly amusing. I liked the Titans story the most, since it involved Garth, with maybe the Wonder Woman/Constantine story coming in second. None of the tales were bad, but some were certainly weaker than others. Overall, a decent package for the holiday. Hrm... now I'm feeling a bit chilly. Strange.
  • Earth 2 Society #19 - I really don't know if I like that a sacrifice was apparently made in vain. Yes, a great world - with an underground freedom force trying to break the control of a central power. I feel like Fury's efforts were for nothing, which kind of defeats the purpose of the last few issues. Maybe. I'll wait and see, but I don't like the direction this is going.
  • Scooby Apocalypse #8 - So this adds more to the mystery - what did happen in the hospital? Obviously, something was going on that made no sense from Velma's point of view, but Daphne, Shaggy and Scooby clearly saw it. So does that mean the nanites did something even more strange than Velma believed possible? What, exactly, did the Four accomplish? And did the group grab enough supplies before they went looking for the victim that they are ok for the moment? The book kind of cut to the action, there, but I hope they packed up some supplies in the Mystery Machine while they had the chance (thinking too hard about a silly book).
  • Spongebob Comics #63 - Oh yeah! A Mermaid Man tale featuring Mermaid Girl! And a mystery! And a one-armed shark! And a back cover by Ramona Fradon! I love when they pay tribute to classic comics with these stories, even though Mermaid Man is really a bad joke in all of them. He's still fun enough to enjoy. Anyway, this is part one of two, and Sandy, of all characters, is trying to find out who Mermaid Girl really was. I'm actually looking forward to the next issue. The rest of the stories in the book were amusing - nothing special. The back cover is fantastic.

0 comments: