Sunday, December 19, 2021

The 2021 Hugo Awards

Thoughts on the Hugo winners... all of the best novel nominees were REALLY good, so I would have been happy with any of them, but I'm still extremely pleased that Murderbot won. I very much enjoyed the series and the novel, and I'm very glad I got introduced to it through the Hugo Awards.

My second choice would probably be Piranesi, which still haunts me, but again - all of them were really really good. All of them are worth reading.

For best novella, the winner, The Empress of Salt and Fortune, is the one that keeps haunting me. None of them were bad, but some hit me less hard.

The best novelette winner, Two Truths and a Lie, is probably the only story I didn't like of the novelettes. I didn't hate it but the story rubbed me the wrong way. I think I put it last on my ballot, but I put it on the ballot because I thought it was worthy of the award. So I'm not disappointed.

All the short stories were excellent, and "Metal Like Blood in the Dark" was a great choice. Personally, I voted "A Guide for Working Breeds" and Little Free Library over it, but it was a hard decision.

All of the best series were worthy, but I did have a preference for The Murderbot Diaries, so I'm very glad it won.

The new category of best video game picked a great game, Hades. It was the one I voted for in the top spot. I hope they keep this category or return with it in the future.

The rest ... there's too much to go into. There was SO much good stuff this year. I hope next year's finalists are as excellent.

List of 2021 Hugo Award Winners

0 comments: